Miter gauge - Recommendations

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have both the Oborne and the Incra 1000. The Osborne is my go to gauge. It is easy to set up, holds true and repeat cuts, if necessary, are consistent. Not short-selling the Incra, I am just more comfortable with the Osborne.
I started to order an Osborne a few minutes ago, but I noticed a potential issue that I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice. The fence is made out of aluminum. The tip of the fence has to be extremely close to the blade for accuracy. The flesh-sensing brake on a SawStop will fire if the metal gets too close or touches the blade if your hand is touching the fence. (The sensor is a proximity detector. Actual contact with the blade is not required. According to the company, some brakes are more sensitive than others.) There's a video that shows how to make a sacrificial end to the fence, which would solve the problem. Another alternative would be to turn off the brake sensor when using the fence. What are SawStop users doing to protect against accidental activation when using this fence? I love that the company is in North Carolina, but I don't want to buy more blades and brakes to use the fence.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
That is interesting Mike, obviously I do not have a SawStop. The distance from the tip of the Osborne to the saw blade is adjustable, and I usually have it set somewhere around 1/8" from the blade. Defeating the sensor does not seem to be the way to go......why have a SawStop if you turn off the safety devices?

BKHam

Bradley
User
i have the Incra 1000 and its only okay in my view. works good in spurts but will lose the setting from time to time. there are 3 screws going into machined holes that seem to me an odd way to attach the miter portion to the fence. seems easy to knock, even slightly out of square. once you do have it squared up, works pretty well.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have the Incra 1000.

View attachment 190571

I'm amazed how much they've gone up since I bought it 15 years ago. It looks like you could just mount a piece of MDF on their basic gauge:

View attachment 190572
I have this and the Incra 1000SE, I prefer the standard Incra 1000. The SE model has too many moving parts and seems too heavy and cumbersome for everyday use. If I need repetitive crosscuts I use my chopsaw with stops, it makes more sense to me. I would be willing to sell the SE if you or anyone else interested

lastgoodusername

New User
lastgoodusername
I have a JDS accu-miter. I really like it.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 193

spartyon8

Peter
User
I bought a kreg version because of a crazy deal and I am not too impressed. However, it does do the job it claims.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have the Osbourne and I leave it around 1/8" away from my Sawstop blade, give or take. Love it and never had a problem so far with accidental firing of the cartridge.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I've seen plenty of pictures, but never encountered one in real life. I would like to see what one can do.

Pop

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Where are you located? I am east of Charlotte outside of Locust, NC. You can play with my Osborne all you want.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Where are you located? I am east of Charlotte outside of Locust, NC. You can play with my Osborne all you want.
Hi Wally, With all the Christmas stuff flying around I will most likely be after 1st of the year. THANKS I'll try to get out there and take you up on your offer.

Pop

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have both the Oborne and the Incra 1000. The Osborne is my go to gauge. It is easy to set up, holds true and repeat cuts, if necessary, are consistent. Not short-selling the Incra, I am just more comfortable with the Osborne.
thank you - in playing with the various devices in Klingspor's yesterday, those two devices are the ones that drew my attention the most.. I mean, except for the $1100 sliding table that I would also need a $3300 table saw to attach to...

Gripbd

BD
User
I’ve got a Delta miter gage that I’ll sell for $20. I’m in Wilmington but I could bring it to the picnic if you can wait that long.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have the Incra 1000HD. I bought it years ago when I had the Delta Unisaw. I have not used it in a while and I pulled it out the other day. My overwhelming thought was that the "incra lock bars", those serrated little things that lock your stop in little grooves are a major pain in the butt. Especially when you are trying to to get the stop set to match a line that is marked on the wood. There is a mircro-adjust which is handy, but moving that will make it so your fence scale isn't right anymore. I've never had any accuracy issues with it.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Anyone tried the Kreg version miter gauge? Looks similar to the Incra, but is less expensive. Reviews state it's a bit more involved to adjust and set angles.

I have a Kreg that I got as a door prize several years ago. Finally got around to setting it up last year and I never could get it dialed in. The bar was either too tight to slide properly or had too much slop in it and there was no way to adjust the head to get it perfectly 90° to the blade/fence/slot. I contacted Kreg and they immediately sent a replacement head, but I haven't gotten around to swapping it out to see if the new one is square.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have one of the original JessEm Mite-R-Excel miter gauges that's rock solid and dead on. Sweet miter slot bar compensation system. Because I use a sled most of the time, it sits on its dedicated rack. I'd let it go for $175.00. I even have the original packaging and instructions.

26050-main.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for the Osborne. Simple to use - has the usual stops at 45, 22.5, etc. And very accurate. Also very stable through the cut.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Not to pick an argument. Just my experience.
I had the JessEm miter gauge. My problem was you had to take it apart to adjust the angle. You guess the error, and adjust the bar. Then you slide it back to together and hope you hit. If not return to square 1. JeesEm's customer service was great they gave me a full refund. I replaced it with an Incra 1000HD. Been happy ever since.

Pop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS