Mistake on dril lpress

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It is a MT-2 integral shank. Link is close, but not the same one. Yes it came with a pin spanner. Both totally irrelevant to not being able to snug it without opening the top and holding the sheave. Yes it tis the old Delta as you show. New belts, well aligned, good lube on the bearings and it just has too little resistance. At least with a key, go around three times and you should never spin a bit. Seems like I do half the time with this one.

I see several Earl Diamond chucks (keyed); are they any good? Growing up, it was all Jacobs, now they seem to be Chinese garbage.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This thread has me thinking about the newer designs of chucks with adaptor shanks It looks like the style of the chuck in question will be a lot less whippy than those styles previously available. I may have to consider getting one for my milling machine. The chuck looks to stick down a bit less and is more rigidly connected to the shank.
The quality of the chuck pictured above is probably better than that drill press deserves but it seems clear that the chuck in question isn't satisfactory.
I wish I had some comparative experiences on new chucks available these days but I don't.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I did find some comparisons on the machine working forums, but they seem to think a bottom of the line chuck was $600 and up.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
LOL
Yeah, that crowd isn't known for producing a cherry chest of drawers or other woodworking projects.

Here's a comparison photo (cluttered as it is) of a Delta 17" drill press generally used for metal working behind the Chinese 14" drill press generally used for woodworking.

1  comparison - 1.jpg

sandfarm

Joe
User
Buy a used Jacobs on Ebay. I have bought several chucks up to 1" cap. and all I had to do was lubricate them and they work fine.
Look at the jaws for wear before buying.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Used chucks are usually a bargain but not always. Sometimes the seller will say the jaws are good but all that means is that the jaws are there. Also a beat up chuck body even with good jaws, won't run true. I've seen that in the last month.

Some pictures for those considering a used chuck.

1   bad chuck  a.jpg 1   bad chuck b.jpg 1   bad chuck c.jpg 1  jaws - 3.jpg 1  jaws - 1.jpg 1  jaws - 2.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I'm with Bob on that. If you can't see it, don't buy it.
I do both metal and wood. Actually, doing metal today as I got the cabinet to enclose my active crossovers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS