Mistake on dril lpress

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A while back I " upgraded " my benchtop to an old Delta. Well, not old enough as it had issues, some original ( 20 years?) but anyway first mistake was not buying the new Palmgren. Second mistake was buying a good, as in not cheap, tool-free chuck. Maybe fine on gear driven, but you have to open the top and grab the pulley to snug it and half the time need a tool to release it. Way worse that a check key. ( Old chuck was not great)

So, such is life.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Not sure what brand of if chuck you bought. I've had a Woodcraft brand chuck on a bench top for years. No complaints.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
By "tool free", I expect you mean "keyless" like an Albrecht chuck.
In the past decade I've run across some Asian-made Albrecht look-alikes that were annoyingly hard to open and close. The culprit: cheap grease in the internal mechanism. Once the chuck has been taken apart, de-greased, cleaned, lightly oiled, and re-assembled, they work fine. Hint: do the cleaning in a metal pan with a magnet in the bottom. There are loose bearing balls that can roll to places unknown.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Missed the problem. So little resistance on the spindle, you get no leverage. Twist the chuck, the spindle spins before the chuck is snug. It was a mid-price highly recommended brand. Not a cheap Chinese clone. Came from MCS if I remember. $150 range I think but might have been $250.

I have seen LPS, but never used it. I'll give it a try. I use the Boeing T9 a lot. Maybe I'll just make a big lever brake that pulls down on the spindle sheave. Cheaper than a good key chuck. The one that came with it was past it's prime even with total tear down and assembly. That's a good call as it is an oft forgot maintenance item.

Can't sped much more as I figured it was time to replace my stereo. Stuff is just too old and even new caps was not getting things up to spec.

mpeele

michael
User
I was suggesting and alternative cleaning technique to Bob's post.
All of the keyless chucks I've used have two knurled rings. Hold top one and use lower one to break loose or tighten jaws.
If you can't turn lower ring once the jaws have been loosened then chuck needs cleaning or repair.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
2 pairs of ChannelLock pliers - with plumber's jaws. They are rubber pads that prevent marring when installing finished faucets.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My chuck has no second ring to grab hold of. That's the problem. So my thought was a lever against the sheave.

If I had to pull out two pairs of pliers, then one chuck key is a lot easier!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's how most keyless chucks work. Most drill presses have enough resistance to allow a keyless chuck to be operated but if the chuck is new and has that gooey grease in it, I can see where you have to open the top cover and hold the pulley. I've had those before and all it took was some cleaning to get rid of that gummy grease. I think the makers use that grease to hold the ball bearings in place during assembly. Even the 30-J1 Albrecht chuck on my little Servo 7000 drill press easily opens and closes once I got it cleaned out.

Attachments

• 1  chuck  ring.jpg
    1 chuck ring.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1  chuck 30 Ji - 1.jpg
    1 chuck 30 Ji - 1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 135

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Point is, mine has no top ring or anything to grab. No gummy grease.

Attachments

• 20201028_052916.jpg
    20201028_052916.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most drill presses have enough resistance to allow a keyless chuck to be operated but if the chuck is new and has that gooey grease in it, I can see where you have to open the top cover and hold the pulley.
Read above statement again, the part about opening the top and holding pulley.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Learn something new every day.
I've never seen an Albrecht-style keyless chuck without a top ring but there it is.
I went to the Shars web site and found a bunch of keyless chucks without top rings. Several had an R-8 shank and that's not for a lathe but a milling machine.
While its been years since I've bought new chucks, I'll now have to be a lot more sensitive to that little 'gotcha' detail.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Reviews suggest runout with an integral arbor, so that is what I got. Not a grease issue, it will almost spin free. MT taper of course.
Spanner is useful sometimes to release it.

Opening the top is less continent than just a key, but it is all I can do now. That is why I was thinking of a spring loaded lever I could just pull against the top sheave. he entire point of keyless was to be quick and convenient.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tegara brand
Check your shank configuration before buying either of these. You don't appear to have an R8 shank, as they would have a draw bolt out the top of the spindle for changing. An MT2 shank should have a slot in the spindle to drive a wedge into to release the shank. Does your DP have either of these?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS