Misc Unisaw Stuff

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let's start at $115, OBO.

The incra is the 1000 series, IIRC. It does have an OOPs! line.

Will bring to picnic if you want to avoid shipping charges.
IMG_0182.jpg

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Casey, yes. Here's the back story on the oops line. I was working with senior capstone design team designing a table saw blade break that did not damage the blade. We were testing some non-newtonian fluids by shoving them into the blade after killing power. I did all the testing myself for student safety reasons. The idea was to kill power and quickly shove the material into the blade. The fluid was much less viscous than expected. I came (too) close to losing body parts on this particular test. We significantly changed the testing the procedure after the 'oops' incident and gave up on non-newtonian fluids shortly after.

The key finding was that a woven Dyneema matrix could stop the blade. The students ran out of time before perfecting the triggering system, however. No one was injured in any of the project work and some students learned how to use a ratchet wrench, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That actually is a really funny College Science fun test story. Bet some of the students still remember that. Aaand ..... you you demonstrated to the students the Nietzsche's adage that = “what does not kill me makes me stronger.” :D

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Applying DC to an induction motor will produce a non rotating motor field and bring the motor to a stop very quickly,, so quickly at full voltage that on a table saw it will frequently loosen the blade nut. The duration of the DC applied needs to be limited in voltage and duration, or you can damage the motor windings. I have designed several of these DC motor brakes over my career, saving considerable redesign costs on some new automated machinery.

Charley

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Charley. Stopping the motor was phase next. Due to circumstances, there just wasn't a follow-up project. And, I'm no longer teaching.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS