Mirka Abranet ... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you haven't used Mirka Abranet (link) you don't know what you are missing ... or at least I didn't!

Recently I bought a 6" variety pack from Hartville Tools mainly thinking I'd use it on the lathe to sand bowls and such. However, I decided while working on the current project to go ahead and put it on the 6" ROS ... WISE MOVE! THIS STUFF IS AWESOME and SO MUCH BETTER THAN TRADITIONAL SANDPAPER! I cannot find a flaw and I've been sanding for HOURS with the SAME pad and it's still chugging away like it were new. AMAZING!

I am RARELY impressed with a product this much ... I suppose my expectation was low and honestly I was turned off by a pushy demo guy at the show a while back. I have now seen the light ...

Do you use this stuff? What do you think of it? If you haven't used it before, I would recommend this sample pack to anyone!

73501grp.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hey Rick (thesource ... aka The Woodworking Source) ... you sell Mirka, right? Maybe you could give us an idea of the prices of this stuff from YOU!

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I use it and like it. Although I've had issues with it tearing along the edges, and last night I had issues with it not staying on my sander. I was sanding some 3" - 4" thresholds that I made. Maybe the thin stock was the problem. It works really well with my dust extractor connected to the sander. It's "almost" dust free.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow is definitely the word. Been using it for ~a year and it rocks. Here's a link for more info: http://www.fiberlay.com/abranet.pdf Definitely not the cheapest abrasive you'll buy but like Jeremy said it lasts a long time. It is an abrasive impregnated netting with a loop material on the back. As dust is created it is sucked through the netting and doesn't build up on the surface. Stays cool. I got a pad protector for my sander and honestly don't know that it's needed. If you wanted the max dust collection I would get the 32 hole backing pad and replace your OEM one with it. I got mine from Supergrit when I was up in York/Harrisburrg, PA on a business trip. The ladies at Supergrit are as sweet as can be but were not much help with this product. There is a local Mirka factory rep who called me after I got home from buying my supplies and was very helpful. This will give you an idea of costs:
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_discs-abranet.asp

The only complaint is the labling wears off of the loop side so it's hard to tell which is which after you re-use the discs a few times on some of the very fine grades.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have thought about buying some, bit wasn't sure and just haven't followed through. Looks like I will be doing it for sure now.

Thanks for posting.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for the information. I discovered that they sell sanding sticks in several sizes smaller than the ones I currently use. Rick - if you sell their products, would you sell the sanding sticks in 6", 8" and 10"? I doubt a lot of folks use these, so if you don't I'll order from them.

Is it strange to be excited about finding new sanding products? That might even be the highlight of my day! :rotflm:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The edge tearing phenomenon is truly freaky. I've had tear-out on flat work within seconds. Next disk running for an hour; no tear-out!

Touchwood

New User
Don
Mark,

Went looking for the 32 hole pad at the site but couldn't find it. Do you have a part number?

Don

Wow is definitely the word. Been using it for ~a year and it rocks. Here's a link for more info: http://www.fiberlay.com/abranet.pdf Definitely not the cheapest abrasive you'll buy but like Jeremy said it lasts a long time. It is an abrasive impregnated netting with a loop material on the back. As dust is created it is sucked through the netting and doesn't build up on the surface. Stays cool. I got a pad protector for my sander and honestly don't know that it's needed. If you wanted the max dust collection I would get the 32 hole backing pad and replace your OEM one with it. I got mine from Supergrit when I was up in York/Harrisburrg, PA on a business trip. The ladies at Supergrit are as sweet as can be but were not much help with this product. There is a local Mirka factory rep who called me after I got home from buying my supplies and was very helpful. This will give you an idea of costs:
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_discs-abranet.asp

The only complaint is the labling wears off of the loop side so it's hard to tell which is which after you re-use the discs a few times on some of the very fine grades.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Jeremy,

I've been using them about a year..real fine grit (800)..cheaper than Abralon pads, but the fine grit goes smooth quickly. That is, it doesn't feel gritty..but it still seems to be taking off material. Do you continue using yours when they feel smooth? The grit number is gone at that point.:dontknow:

By the way..I use a Makita and just got a new H&L pad (after three years of pretty ruff use).. You practically have to tear the disc to get it off now. Before the new pad, they had a tendency to fly off. New pad cost 25 bucks on Amazon..well worth it. It's like a new sander.:eusa_danc

Don

If you haven't used Mirka Abranet (link) you don't know what you are missing ... or at least I didn't!

Recently I bought a 6" variety pack from Hartville Tools mainly thinking I'd use it on the lathe to sand bowls and such. However, I decided while working on the current project to go ahead and put it on the 6" ROS ... WISE MOVE! THIS STUFF IS AWESOME and SO MUCH BETTER THAN TRADITIONAL SANDPAPER! I cannot find a flaw and I've been sanding for HOURS with the SAME pad and it's still chugging away like it were new. AMAZING!

I am RARELY impressed with a product this much ... I suppose my expectation was low and honestly I was turned off by a pushy demo guy at the show a while back. I have now seen the light ...

Do you use this stuff? What do you think of it? If you haven't used it before, I would recommend this sample pack to anyone!

73501grp.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The pads I have feel a bit slicker, but they keep on working (and appear just as good). I tapped them with a rubber pad to dislodge any dust built-up, but not sure if that helped or not. I am new to these .. I was just so impressed I had to share and also wanted to see what others experience was. So far I really, really like these ... can't wait to use them on a turning!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark,

Went looking for the 32 hole pad at the site but couldn't find it. Do you have a part number?

Don

Don,
The hard backing pads are at the bottom of this page:
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_discs-abranet.asp Not sure which sanders they would match.

There are medium and soft pads for specific sanders and soft interface pads for any 6" H&L disc sander on page 18-20 of this sander/accessory catalog: http://www.mirka.com/C7F93984-7C44-4F6A-B3B9-13B4EBA2D275 which may match some of your syle of work as the hard pads are more for flatwork. Not sure if Supergrit carries them. Worth a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS