Mirka Abranet vs Autonet

teesquare

T
Senior User
I stand corrected, but I still wish he would have tested Klingnet to see where it fell. One of the things Klingspor always says is you need to match your abrasive to the job…. Like the Festool paper it is NOT a one-size fits all…
I would like to have seen the Klingnet tested as well.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I stand corrected, but I still wish he would have tested Klingnet to see where it fell. One of the things Klingspor always says is you need to match your abrasive to the job…. Like the Festool paper it is NOT a one-size fits all…
I’ve found the Klingnet to be similar sanding performance and durability to the Mirka Abranet. However the Klingnet hook and loop tends to loose it’s grip and flies off the sander before the sanding disk runs out of grit. I cleaned and vacuumed both sander pad and the Klingnet, but it still flew off. This happened about 4 times with 4 new Klingnet disks, all lasting a short time before flying off. Finally I changed the pad on my sander and it stayed on. I did not experience this issue with the Abranet when using the same sander pad.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
However the Klingnet hook and loop tends to loose it’s grip and flies off the sander before the sanding disk runs out of grit. I cleaned and vacuumed both sander pad and the Klingnet, but it still flew off. This happened about 4 times with 4 new Klingnet disks, all lasting a short time before flying off. Finally I changed the pad on my sander and it stayed on. I did not experience this issue with the Abranet when using the same sander pad.
I’m glad that I’m not the only one that’s had this happen! I’ve mentioned this before about some of the discs from Klingspor.

jgt1942

John
User
Heat is the biggest contributor to flying disc. I've used the interface pad for years and highly recommend them but even with them, disc will fly. I try to use lower speed but very often want to get the job finished, this results in pushing up the speed.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I’m just saying, in identical situations the Mirka Abranet doesn’t fly off while the Klingnet does.

jgt1942

John
User
I use a lot of the Mirka Abranet/Autonet and sometimes they also fly. Recently, I was using a Heavy Duty 80 grit Abranet on my Mirka Deros sander which was running at the highest speed. I had been sanding for a reasonable amount of time, I lifted the sander to move to another area, the disc went flying. I've also had the standard Abranet/Autonet go flying bot not as often. I suspect a combination of speed, e.g. the rotation of the disc, and the weight of the disc to be the main contributors. The combination, heats up the hooks, weakings the hooks and the disc flies. I don't know this as a fact, it is my suspicion. The next time you are sanding, as you move the sander, place your free hand where the sander was. If you are like me, you will be shocked. Sometimes a section we're sanding resist looking the way we want and spend more time on the small area.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Your wish is my command.....:)

This is a test done in a manner that is the most scientific that I believe the sandpaper industry has ever been subjected to.
The problem with the testing is there is no evaluation of the surface. Feedback here and on the Facebook group indicates the surface is not as smooth or consistent with the 3M Extract as with the Abranet/Autonet/Klingnet products. For hogging off a rough surface the 3M Extract is a clear winner but that's not the only reason we use sanders.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS