Mirka Abranet vs Autonet

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I went on amazon to purchase a new box of Mirka Abranet (it's been a while as a box usually lasts me a couple years) and Mirka now offers "Autonet". Does anyone have any experience with it. It's considerably less expensive. This is Mirka's explanation which isn't very helpful.

"Abranet has been developed for sanding filler, primer, lacquer, composite and many other materials.

Autonet has been developed for the automotive refinishing industry, fitting a wide spectrum of applications."

I'm using it mostly to rub out the hardwax oil finishes and other oil based finishes.

smurg

New User
Marty
Saw this on a distributor page: Mirka Autonet Discs 150 mm

"In comparison with Abranet, Autonet uses a heavier duty polyamide fabric mesh backing, which makes it stiffer and less flexible. The hook n loop backing is also of a slightly heavier grade.

These characteristics generally mean that 'Autonet' may be slightly better for heavier duty projects in the painting and decorating sector than the original Abranet. However, for finer finishing, and for it's increased flexibility we generally recommend sticking with the original Abranet - particularly where you require it's flexibility when using an Interface pad or circular hand pad."

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Saw this on a distributor page: Mirka Autonet Discs 150 mm

"In comparison with Abranet, Autonet uses a heavier duty polyamide fabric mesh backing, which makes it stiffer and less flexible. The hook n loop backing is also of a slightly heavier grade.

These characteristics generally mean that 'Autonet' may be slightly better for heavier duty projects in the painting and decorating sector than the original Abranet. However, for finer finishing, and for it's increased flexibility we generally recommend sticking with the original Abranet - particularly where you require it's flexibility when using an Interface pad or circular hand pad."
great to know, thanks for this

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
All I know is the Abranet beats the pants off the 3M Cubitron II. On flat surfaces 3M is OK, but for real world sanding the Mirka is much more durable.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
All I know is the Abranet beats the pants off the 3M Cubitron II. On flat surfaces 3M is OK, but for real world sanding the Mirka is much more durable.
I would love to see a comparison of Abranet, 3M Cubitron and a comperable Klingspor product. (Klingnet... maybe?)
I was the Katz-Moses YT video and IIRC he did not include any of the Klingspore prodcuts.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Maybe add in the big box competition as Diablo brand sells packs of mesh. It is so much better than the old paper, I can't wait to use it up and try, well it would have been 3M but not I guess I'll look for some Mirka. Using the new 3M sander which is fantastic.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I recently got some Diablo mesh 80 grit. Home Depot has a new 60 pack for the price of 50. It seems to perform about the same as the 3m. Good on flat surface, but quickly comes apart on curved surfaces and edges.

I’ve seen a couple YouTube videos where they try to do a fair comparison between different brands but they all only sand flat surfaces. I think the only real way to know is to try them. Everyone probably sands a little different so what works for me might not for others. I usually try to get the most out of each piece. For example if I feel like a piece is not cutting anymore, and I’m working on a flat surface, I will set that piece aside and use it in a situation that I know will probably tear it up. Or, I will use my spent piece for hand sanding. So that’s why durability is important to me.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I recently used Abranet for the first time and my intial impression off the bat was that it was better than Cubitron.

I've found the 3M higher grits wear out rather quickly and clog up. The edges of the discs also get frayed, whichI guess is nothing. FYI I was sanding oak, using a Festool sander and dust extraction set to high so I feel I had the best DC you could get.

I did feel the Abranet clogged too, but I didn't try to clear it out.

I still have a bunch of standard discs (Rhyno and they are just as good as Granate), but I think I will be making the transition.

But Abranet on an air sander -- fugetaboutit -- its the bomb.

jgt1942

John
User
I use a lot of the Abranet/Autonet and have been very pleased with them, however they do have limitations, as others I'm always looking for something better. You can also get heavy duty in some of the grits. The hooks on the HD seem to fail faster than the normal disk. I've never really tested how long a disk can be used before the hooks fail. For sure a high-speed setting will shorten the life of the hooks because it will generate more heat.

I've got some of the 3M Xtract, they seem to clog faster than the Mirka disk. Could be due to what I'm sanding.

I still have a few grits that are paper disk but as I deplete the supply most likely I will replace them with Abranet/Autonet

I have two Mirka Deros 550 sanders, one is without a power cord thus it does not get used much. I should be receiving a power cord, my Mirka rep promised to send me one. It is a real bummer that Mirka did not use a standard PC AC plug! I plan to get a 6" pad and replace the 5" pad on one and start purchsining 6" disk. At this time I will have one sander with 5" disk and one with 6" disk, then at some point when I have used all of my 5" sanding disk, replace the 5" pad with a 6" pad and use nothing but 6" disk.

Regarding clogging, the Abranet/Autonet WILL clog. As soon as I notice swirl marks when sanding, I stop, remove the disk, use my air compressor (it is set at 90 pounds, I have a 60 gal air tank) blow the disk from the back side of the disk, flip the disk over, blow the disk from the front side. If you see some areas that are still clogged either blow the disk again or roll that area of the disk between your fingers. It is problematic as to how successful rolling the disk. If I cannot clear the clog I consider tossing the disk and/or slowing down the sanding speed. Slowing down the speed sometimes helps with the clogging.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Sanding disc performance is not easily judged. Here is a picture of 6 sanding discs I use in my shop, labeled 1-6

Sand Discs.jpg

Of these 6 the blue one #1) is the best performer for rough or angular/sharp edge sanding. It never loses grit, it cuts... however, it can load up, so you need to eraser it when working with it. It is the cheapest one, no name brand, but the backing is real cloth, it is also the thickest of all of them.
#1= No name brand .060
#2 = Ace Hardware .038
#3 = Diablo mesh .028
#4 = Cubitron Solid .028
#5 = Cubitron net .027
#6 = Abranet .027

All are 120 except #1 is 100 The point is... it just depends on what you are sanding and how figured it is will determine the best pad for the job. That cheapo stuff really works well for some of the restoration on trim I reuse on this home. I tend to use the cubitron solid on most daily stuff, but I like the abranet for finial finish........
But then, that's just me.

jgt1942

John
User
DrBob, I'm assuming your question "What’s your dust collection? That can make a difference." was for me, it not please let us know.

I actually have two dust collectors for my Mirka Deros sanders.
  1. Mirka MV-912 Dust Extractor
  2. Festool CT36E Dust Collector
Currently the Festool is connected to my Mirka Deros 550 and the Mirka is used my my Makita tracksaw

teesquare

T
Senior User
I would love to see a comparison of Abranet, 3M Cubitron and a comperable Klingspor product. (Klingnet... maybe?)
I was the Katz-Moses YT video and IIRC he did not include any of the Klingspore prodcuts.
Your wish is my command.....:)

This is a test done in a manner that is the most scientific that I believe the sandpaper industry has ever been subjected to.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your wish is my command.....:)

This is a test done in a manner that is the most scientific that I believe the sandpaper industry has ever been subjected to.
T: I saw that when it first came out, my comment was "I [sic: watched] the Katz-Moses YT video and IIRC he did not include any of the Klingspore products.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Pretty sure this test include Klingspor…. Will have to look at it again myself to be sure. I know this test was 19(?) differentsandpapers

MLB3164

New User
Marty
I can say I switched to the 3M Xtract and it was a game changer for me. Used on Festool sanders and CT36 the best dust collection of anything I have tried.

teesquare

T
Senior User
T: I saw that when it first came out, my comment was "I [sic: watched] the Katz-Moses YT video and IIRC he did not include any of the Klingspore products.
Just looked at the video again. Klingspor had 2 different sandpapers that were taste. One of them was 14th in performance/cos/value and the other a very respectable 3rd place.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Just an FYI for small projects I buy the multi grit packs of the Xtract so I don’t have a glut of certain grits. The stuff lasts so long you can get a lot of use out of a single multi pack.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just looked at the video again. Klingspor had 2 different sandpapers that were taste. One of them was 14th in performance/cos/value and the other a very respectable 3rd place.
I stand corrected, but I still wish he would have tested Klingnet to see where it fell. One of the things Klingspor always says is you need to match your abrasive to the job…. Like the Festool paper it is NOT a one-size fits all…

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS