Minor --- now Major home remodel

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am deep into a major home remodel. It started as just update the kitchen cabinets and countertops without changing the design, but then Covid gave me some extra time so I expanded my scope. Johnny R, Steve Hall, Willem and Heath (HHH) helped me think thru the what to do and the how to do it.
Basically I am combining a living room, family room, dining room and kitchen into one large great room. New subfloor, electric, plumbing, HVAC, flooring, millwork, and ceiling including modifying the trusses to allow a cathedral ceiling. Plus virtually all new furniture - only three pieces made the cut.
Months of planning with implementation delayed by Covid. Now full speed ahead. Here is what my main living area look like now
IMG_6114.jpg

One of my last decisions was the flooring. I had initially planned on 3 1/4" maple, but it just seemed boring. I looked at the reclaimed pine flooring but seemed like it was out of my budget. An internet search kept pointing towards E T Moore up in Richmond. Their website showed some sale pricing that I could work with so I drove up to see the product for myself - glad I did.
E T Moore is a 50 year old manufacturer of flooring, paneling and molding using only reclaimed wood, mostly pine. The facility in Richmond is five acres of wood shop, stored old wood and a great collection of old - see the photos
IMG_6114.jpg
IMG_6120.jpg
IMG_6121.jpg
IMG_6122.jpg
IMG_6123.jpg
IMG_6127.jpg
IMG_6128.jpg

So they will be supplying my flooring (1500 sq ft). Reclaimed from the floor of a textile factory where they sprayed linseed oil or whale oil on the floor daily to control dust. T&G pine in random widths from 3 to 7". I will finish with Saicos Premium Hardwax oil

I will send more photos of this project as it moves along

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
That's an ambitious re-modeling plan, Phil, but we're sure you can pull it off! BTW, the cellarette shown next to the horse-drawn shay is sure a pretty piece. I'm sure you asked a few questions about it!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Phil, awesome endeavor. I did something similar when I was living in California. I owned a Victorian.....started out with permit to add 2 GFI's and misc repair........it morphed into total redo full gut and rebuild -17 permits later house was done. A real test of our marriage. Good luck ! Can;t wait to see the end result.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am deep into a major home remodel. ..........................

I feel your pain, I went through that back in 2010. Tore everything out back to the studs and down to the subfloor in the kitchen, dining room and hall. Went back with solid wood oak cabinets I built in my shop from rough oak,( a lot of shavings from that belsaw planer), corian cabinet tops and vinyl flooring on new underlayment. Also put sheetrock on the walls to replace birch paneling. And of course the ceiling had to be patched in numerous places and repainted. What a sigh of relief when it was finished. I am sure you will do a terrific job on everything.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! The end result of all your efforts will be awesome; I am looking forward to the big reveal! While I am not familiar with ET Moore, it looks to be a really great antique store!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
LMAO great gumption. However if you need help holler. E T MOORE looks fantastic, almost all of the REAL OLDE stores are gone so sad

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's an ambitious re-modeling plan, Phil, but we're sure you can pull it off! BTW, the cellarette shown next to the horse-drawn shay is sure a pretty piece. I'm sure you asked a few questions about it!
I was going to ask if that came home with Phil?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Adding ET Moore to the list of travel destinations!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS