Miniture drill bits

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
Here's another idea for you scrollers that I have been using for several years.
These are for those special veining cuts or small cutouts in scrollsaw pictures, that you would prefer that the drill hole doesn't show. You need a very small bit for that.
I tried all those ultra small drill bits. Some you had to have a special chuck to hold. Broke a lot of them. Then I discovered these.
Work perfect for up to 1/4" thick Baltic Birch, which is mostly what I use for those scroll saw pictures.
IMG_0198.JPG

I got them from Amazon several years ago. I couldn't find the ones in the picture that I am showing, so that particular set is probably not available now. But there are several other sets you may want to try. Just search "PCB drill bit sets". The are intended for circuit boards, but work fine for scrollsawing.

Roy - Waxhaw, NC

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Thanks! Been needing these since starting scrolling. The number drills are too easily broken. Hope these last a little longer.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Trust me I have had lots of experience with number drill bits. I can’t say I have never broken one I break very few. Here are a couple tips:
1. Never use a numbered bit in a hand held drill. You will never be able to drill straight enough. I installed a Jacobs chuck in my drill press and it holds all sizes.
2. When drilling you want to have the bit turning at a very high rate BUT you want your feed rate to be very slow. Most problems come from pushing the bit instead of allowing the drill to work.
3. I never drill with more than 3/8” of bit extending out of the chuck. If drilling thicker stock drill the 3/8” then loosen the chuck and then extend more of the bit, 1/4” at a time.
4. Make sure to secure your stock to the drill press table so there is no movement while drilling or backing out of the wood.
5. Mini drill bits do dull quickly. Treat them as throw away like scrollsaw blades, sandpaper and paper towels.
6. You can use a Drexel with the plunge router attachment or one of the hand held drill presses like made by SEYCO but you still need to follow rules 2-5 above.

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
Scott,
All the points you made are valid for regular small drill bits.
My post recommended the PCB drills which eliminate all these problems.
I've never broken one and use them in a regular drill press with no vice and they stay sharp.
The shanks are about 1/8" in diameter and the bit extends about 3/8". All one piece.
I scrollsaw pictures, which have many small areas to drill. They work great for that. I usually stack two 1/8" or 5/32" pieces of Baltic Birch plywood together and drill through that.

Roy - Waxhaw, NC

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS