Mini-Split, What do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I hate to start another Mini Split thread, but here goes. I have read back on several of the other threads, but didn't really see the info I'm looking for.

I have seen a lot of comments on the Mitsubishi models being great. But they also seem to come with a higher price looking on the web.

What do you have, How long have you had it, and tell me about the reliability? If you think you got a good deal, Where did you get it?

The shop is 24x24 with 9.5' ceilings. Going to have R-30+ in the south and west walls, plus the ceiling. North and east walls will be in excess of R-20. 2, double pane windows and both doors are insulated. Looking at a 15-18 SEER and 18k BTU's or something close.

I'm within a few weeks of purchasing something.

TIA!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I know this is a mini-split ask but I keep tossing this idea out there as a much cheaper alternative to mini-splits but supposedly has about as good efficiency. I was told this by an HVAC guy at my church and he said he'd install a TTW (Thru The Wall) unit like you find in hotel rooms (they do not have to be mounted on the floor). I asked him about installing in a 1200sqft shop I'm planning and he said the TTW would be his choice.

Doesn't hurt to quote it / get specs...

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
jfynyson,
I have the style you're talking about, it's also called a P-tac, but the same thru wall, motel style. You have to be careful, some are swamp coolers which use moisture to cool the air, not very good with tools and metal surfaces. I'm going back to a Mini-split next year, I hate my current system.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I hate to start another Mini Split thread, but here goes. I have read back on several of the other threads, but didn't really see the info I'm looking for.

I have seen a lot of comments on the Mitsubishi models being great. But they also seem to come with a higher price looking on the web.

What do you have, How long have you had it, and tell me about the reliability? If you think you got a good deal, Where did you get it?

The shop is 24x24 with 9.5' ceilings. Going to have R-30+ in the south and west walls, plus the ceiling. North and east walls will be in excess of R-20. 2, double pane windows and both doors are insulated. Looking at a 15-18 SEER and 18k BTU's or something close.

I'm within a few weeks of purchasing something.

TIA!

I've got a Mitsubishi model, outside unit can handle 3 heads, but only 2 installed (they were out of stock of 2 head unit when installed picked up, so they got the 3 head at same price)

So far has run great, I only use it on demand (turn on about 30 mins to hour before I go to garage shop) and it has cooled and heated as needed. Same on back porch, turn on about 20 mins before going back there, and it's comfortable quickly. Had mine since October last year, so can't speak to long term reliability. A friend had the compressor go out on hers after a few years.

Only issue I have is that they installers crammed 2 line sets into 1 line set hide channel, and ripped off the insulation from one to make it fit. Made them come back and fix that issue, as it cause condensation on the line sets. Thought that was fixed, but this summer noticed the line set hid had water dripping out, so have to call them back out to fix.

Went with Yellow Dot HVAC as they had best price. They acted like they'd installed a ton of them, but after watching them install, my gut is they'd hadn't done many (or at least the install crew sent to my house hadn't)

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
I have a Comfort Star mini split. It is a knock off I guess but it has been great. This is its 3rd year. It is in a 24x28 metal building that I studded and insulated. One of the best features is the quietness of the unit. I have to stop everything and remain very still to hear it. Power is from my house and I do not see any difference in the bill. I am a hobbyist so it is not on all the time but a lot. Love this thing!

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have a thru the wall Sears unit that heats and cools. Works fine in a well insulated shop. Just got to keep the filter clean.

badger fan

Bruce
User
I have the Mitusbishi Mini Split in my garage/shop area which is like a space that is for 2 and a half. It really works well at cooling and heating. I have had it about 2 years now. I am a hobbyist and for the money and effectiveness I am sold. I purchased it from a company (Blinson Heating and Air) that was bought by Allen Kelly. They were great at the installation and I believe they would be worth your time talking to them.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
LG 12,500 btu largest 120v cany say enuf good about it, 3 car garage/shop, running 24/7. Only caveat is they dont like dust so clean them often and run forever

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I had a Mitsubishi Mini Split in my last workshop and will put another one in my new workshop once it's built. I've heard that the Mitsubishi cost more but if you need parts, they are available. Just what I heard. It really costs just about nothing to run these things and they are very quiet. Good luck with your choice just don't go for the cheapest brand.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS