Mini-Split dripping water inside

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Late last year my mini split started dripping water [condensation] inside the building. Summer was over and it was time to switch over to heat, so I didn't worry with looking for the fix right away. Now summer is upon us and I have yet to look into the fix.

I'm assuming I have a drain hose disconnected from the unit or cracked. The exterior plastic drain hose has essentially dry rotted.

Any ideas on what else it could be?

I think the unit just hangs on the mounting bracket that comes with them, as I've not been able to locate any screws to undo and free it from the wall. I assume a little 'up' pressure will free it from the bracket and I can gently pull it away from the wall being careful not to bend any of the copper tubing. I can then inspect the drain hose, hopefully.

Comments and/or suggestions appreciated. I worked out there today. Wasn't hot, but dang, the humidity is awful! Yes, I'm spoiled. Need to get this fixed. :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Another possibility is that it could be clogged. I have had Mitsubishi mini-splits and you should be able to take the plastic frame from the unit (inside component) by simply taking out a few screws. You can then check to see if the drip hose is still in place; if it isn't reconnect, if it is - disconnect and blow it out to loosen any debris that ay be clogging it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Your line set could be the source of dripping water. Be sure the larger pipe is insulated. I had this happen on new unit we installed last year. Condensate was forming right where line set exited air handler. Also had to insulate the condensate line as it also was sweating enough to wet the floor.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What brand and model number of mini-split do you have? You should be able to look up the specs and diagram for it.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
After checking for obvious leaks I would use my compressed air tank to blow it out. lastly you may need to flush some anti-fungal solution through the pipe. If it clears you may want to regularly flush some bleach solution.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What brand and model number of mini-split do you have? You should be able to look up the specs and diagram for it.
I may actually have the owners manual. Will have to dig around. Watched a few videos last night and think I have a plan.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I moved my DC near the same area that the mini-split is located last year. I'm thinking the drain tray may be clogged. The air filter gets clogged fairly quick, so maybe some of the micro dust is settling in the tray. Hopefully I have a bit of time this weekend to take it apart and clean it up.

RayH

New User
Ray
David,

I would be inclined to move the DC as far away from the HVAC as possible, and add a room air filter in between. Either one of the expensive name-brand types or one made from an old furnace fan. Keep the filter on the HVAC cleaned regularly. It is hard with a mini-split parked next to the ceiling, but worth the effort. Just my opinion, and YMMV.

Good luck,

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
After checking for obvious leaks I would use my compressed air tank to blow it out. lastly you may need to flush some anti-fungal solution through the pipe. If it clears you may want to regularly flush some bleach solution.
I took the thing apart this evening and gave it a good cleaning. OH MY the Dust that was inside this unit! I doubt it could breath.

The drip tray had a good bit of flaking 'dust' as it had dried up over winter. I got everything about as clean as I could. Couldn't get the air hose nozzle close enough to blow thru the drain tube though. I have it running and will check later before bed. If still leaking inside, I'll drag the compressor outside and blow the drain line from the outside in and see if that clears it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Still have to figure out the dust collection location. It has had a few leaks and I recently did some work to tighten the rings. Hopefully all of the above fixes everything.

gmakra

New User
George
Blow from the exit end of the pipe.
Then clean any mess that may have resulted from the back flush.

FlyingRon

Ron
Check for blockages in the drain line and in the pan area that collects the water from the coils. Check to make sure the thing isn't canted away from the drain.

I've found that stuff grows in the condensate lines from time to time and plugs things up.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Instead of blowing condensate line out, take wet n dry shop vac and suck it out from the outside. Be sure to remove filter from vac before doing this.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
It is now working normally. Drip hose looked like a water line while it was dehumidifying the first few hours. The drip tray certainly had some dried up dust flakes, but wasn't terrible and the drain line didn't appear to be clogged.

Could all of the dust that had accumulated within the coils prevented the water from even being able to drain down to the drip tray?

Lessons learned:

1. Clean the Mini-Split at least a couple times a year
2. Invest in an air cleaner
3. Find a better set up for the DC unit and exhaust directly outside.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS