Mini Gyro Air

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I wonder what would be a good idea for clear tubing stock for the cyclone when scaled to larger sizes? I guess it doesnt have to be clear, but it is fun to watch, and it would help inform the iterative process.

It will be interesting to see the comparative differences in impact on realized CFM compared to a dust deputy style cyclone or a thien baffle. An inexpensive anemometer can be had from Amazon for under $20, and I'm sure it would be plenty accurate for those purposes.

Clear tubing is definitely fun to watch but considering size needed for a 4"/6" inlet it would significantly increase the cost of this build, toying around with the idea of sonotubes since you can purchase 8"/12" x 48" ones for $10 @ HD/Lowes. For viewing pleasure I could 3D print a frame for a view window in the side of the tube, use a heat gun and the sonotube as a form to bend a sheet of acrylic to shape. These are just some ideas that I am tossing out of the top of my head.

Also I ordered a decent anemometer since this is getting more attention that I previously expected and I just happen to have a shopvac sized dust deputy sitting here beside me so I can do a comparison, just don't have access to a small thien baffle.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A bit of HVAC duct would work fine I suspect for larger size.

Don't bother with a Thien. Better than nothing, but not much. Think of them as a cyclone with no slope.
It would be interesting to hook up a slack-tube to measure the drop across various options.

Be careful with an anemometer as the velocity across the duct is not consistent. They tell you velocity, not actual CFM. Yes, you push a button for size and it has a reading, but it assumes a uniform flow. If used carefully, they do give good relative measurements but for the small hose, they block quite a bit. A small position difference can give a huge reading difference.

I have the small CV cyclone on my Fien and I get almost nothing in the bag. For size and space, it would be nifty to use a gryo-air design to lower the profile. I don't know your calculations on tube diameter and cone size that gives the equivalent of a shop vac hose. My guess is it would need to be about 6 inches?

BTW, y

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS