Mini Gyro Air

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Not sure where to post this but I wanted to share the Gyro air I designed and printed to fit a 2" dust port. It could be resized to fit any size of system just would need to rework some wall thickness to save material and print time. It'll be a week or so until I can probably hobble down to the shop again in order to test this but curious as to what other's thought and see if there was something I over looked.
IMG_20210610_094216715.jpgIMG_20210610_090258584.jpgIMG_20210610_091014321.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is pretty cool!
I can't wait to see how it performs...

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Looks cool - but I have to admit I don't understand the function.
Please enlighten me.
Instead of a typical cyclone dust separator this is a copy of the dust seperator that Harvey produces, (GYRO AIR G-700 Dust Processor). It is more of an experiment to see how effective this style of dust separation is compared to the other solutions (thein baffle and cyclonic). I don't have the equipment to test airflow and not advanced enough in 3d design to run fluid dynamic simulations so it'll be more of just a amateur observation. Heck if it works well I'll probably crack open a beer and celebrate!

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Did you "smooth" the plastic? What kind of bearings are you using?

No bearings are needed. Everything is stationary just like a normal cyclonic separator and as for smoothing the plastic it has little to no effect on air flow. (would be less than a 1% difference). Someone could print this in ABS and use actatone vapour if they wished for that desired finish.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
No bearings are needed. Everything is stationary just like a normal cyclonic separator and as for smoothing the plastic it has little to no effect on air flow. (would be less than a 1% difference). Someone could print this in ABS and use actatone vapour if they wished for that desired finish.
No bearings are needed - Makes me look a big dummy ....
I will need to show this to the wind tunnel/air flow experts at work and see what they think.
Can you share the drawings?

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
No bearings are needed - Makes me look a big dummy ....
I will need to show this to the wind tunnel/air flow experts at work and see what they think.
Can you share the drawings?
I have the fusion 360 model and can share the link ( Fusion ) if this will work. I am no expert in design but would be very interested in the opinions of others, as long as they can overlook my horrible drafting skills Lol

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A proper cyclone separates almost all particles, not just heavy ones. The Harvey system has two dust ports actually. I think I see that in yours as it is sitting on the ports.

GYRO AIR G-700 Dust Processor for those unfamiliar with it. I almost went for it, but bought a CV 1800 instead. It could have fit under my outfeed table, but I was concerned the airflow would not be enough for the miter saw hood and lathe.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
So where do the heavy particles go?
The legs are the dust chutes, heavy particles hit the front diving cone and fall into the the front chute, then t the middle spins the air into a cyclonic rotation and pushes the finer dust to the outer parts of the tube and it will drop down into the rear leg/chute.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
A proper cyclone separates almost all particles, not just heavy ones. The Harvey system has two dust ports actually. I think I see that in yours as it is sitting on the ports.

GYRO AIR G-700 Dust Processor for those unfamiliar with it. I almost went for it, but bought a CV 1800 instead. It could have fit under my outfeed table, but I was concerned the airflow would not be enough for the miter saw hood and lathe.

You are correct the chutes are the legs on this model. I actually have plans to upscale this to handle up to a 6" inlet using a Sonotube as the body and making a view port on top just like the Harvey system.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Reminds me of this one made out of wewd. I like the 3D printed version better. 3D model looks good as well.
That guy is scary and he shouldn't be around power tools!
The simple mistakes he made had me worried we were going to see an amputee - 38 minutes of my life I will not get back!

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Reminds me of this one made out of wewd. I like the 3D printed version better. 3D model looks good as well.

Watched that video.. I am not sure if that man should operate power tools but he is entertaining. One mistakes I can see in his design the front dividing cone looks placed too far forward from the middle divider at the 33:11 mark watch the large chunk bounce into the fin section of the separator, this could be easily rectified but looks like it works well.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watched that video.. I am not sure if that man should operate power tools but he is entertaining. One mistakes I can see in his design 1 front dividing cone looks placed too far forward from the middle divider at the 33:11 mark I watched the large chunk bounce into the fin section of the separator, this could be easily rectified but looks like it works well.
I say an "A+" for creativity - but the number of mistakes he made and dangerous situations he put himself in had me cringing!
"Oh, well I cut this too short, OOPS, I did it again."
I made the box, but it is too small for the filter...

Then to hold a large part you are drill on a drill press - a recipe for disaster!
making all those small / thin pieces on the table saw I find unsafe and the real problem is someone watching this that is even less experienced might think this is SOP...!!!

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
That guy is scary and he shouldn't be around power tools!
The simple mistakes he made had me worried we were going to see an amputee - 38 minutes of my life I will not get back!

I agree. Cool idea with good results, but terrible execution.

Echd

C
User
Very interesting design.

Due to practically every dust collector of any size being out of stock, I ordered a shop fox w1865 from amazon. It's an open box model so i got a good price but is essentially the harbor freight unit with the rikon impeller already installed, and with a better (but still deficient) filter bag.

I'm still sorting out my garage / wood working shop renovations but I'll start a scaled up version of these on the sidewinder tonight. Might be a while until i get to the actual assembly though.

I wonder what would be a good idea for clear tubing stock for the cyclone when scaled to larger sizes? I guess it doesnt have to be clear, but it is fun to watch, and it would help inform the iterative process.

It will be interesting to see the comparative differences in impact on realized CFM compared to a dust deputy style cyclone or a thien baffle. An inexpensive anemometer can be had from Amazon for under $20, and I'm sure it would be plenty accurate for those purposes.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS