Milwaukee Router Quits

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Well my Milwaukee had been making a bad bearing noise for some time.It finally locked up today but I can't complain a bit as it has been a real work horse for me.I wold buy the same one again and hope to find a similar one to replace it!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If the router is otherwise fine and served you well all these years you could also opt to replace the failed bearing(s) and keep your existing router. Unless, of course, you are itching for a new tool! Either way, best of luck on your quest.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
If the router is otherwise fine and served you well all these years you could also opt to replace the failed bearing(s) and keep your existing router. Unless, of course, you are itching for a new tool! Either way, best of luck on your quest.
Well my " guess" is all else is well, but I just don't know...Not itching to spend a bunch. Maybe I can research this a bit and see.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Addressing cause of the "bad noise" as soon as you noticed it is usually the cheapest way to keep a good router a good router. Letting a bad bearing fail totally usually has terminal consequences. The bearing overheats and wallows the hole where the bearing seats. The bearing overheats and seizes up and spins on the shaft ruining the armature. The bearing overheats and the balls and cage disintegrate and the armature contacts the field coil and burns out either one or the other or both. Its sort of like not putting oil in the car because oil is expensive. Just the cost of doing business. Besides, new routers are fun just like new cars are.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I wonder if it would be costly for me to send this to a service center and have them check it out? I dont think it is anymore than bearings and maybe brushes. I just have not had any good experiences when i took a tool like this apart.I have too many pokers in the fire right now anyhow...It is worth money to me to have someone else do some things.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I wonder if it would be costly for me to send this to a service center and have them check it out? I dont think it is anymore than bearings and maybe brushes. I just have not had any good experiences when i took a tool like this apart.I have too many pokers in the fire right now anyhow...It is worth money to me to have someone else do some things.
If they’ll diagnose for free it’s a good idea but you may be ready for a full size router going forward - the handheld is usable for light duty but in day-to-day work, get a brute!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Look for another , what Bob Vaughan said is likely going to be what will be case. THe race the bearing is on will be damaged and even if you change the bearing, that inertia from the high rpm will cause the new one to fail due to the small out of spec "egging or scoring" that was left on the router bearing spindle chase.

If you are going to keep it table mounted, then look on Craigslist, often newbies who think bigger is better will buy a 3.25 hp PorterCable or equal only to find it is way too much for them and they end up selling pretty new units for 100 bucks or so. That is exactly how I got my router, it was virtually new, with a set of nice bits in a the case for a 110 bucks. Good luck !

Flute Maker

Mike
User
"look on Craigslist, often newbies who think bigger is better will buy a 3.25 hp PorterCable or equal only to find it is way too much for them and they end up selling pretty new units for 100 bucks or so."

Hmmmmm think that is what Ill do....My Bosch is doing good for me now anyhow!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Great to see you back old friend!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS