Milwaukee 2410 M12 compact drill/driver - initial impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The batteries on my 7-year-old Makita 12V drill/driver are giving up the ghost, so I needed a replacement. I prefer a lightweight drill for most workshop tasks (I have a big 1/2" corded beast when I need real power), so after searching a few online reviews, I ordered the Milwaukee M12 2410 compact drill/driver. I considered moving up to a 14.4v model as I've been feeling like 12V was no longer enough for me...and with everyone moving to 18v drills, I kinda wonder what I'm missing. But I recalled that the 12v Makita was fantastic when it was new, so I decided that the fading batteries had colored my views over the past year.

It arrived today so I charged the batteries and went down to the shop to try it out. To test out the torque, I drilled a quick hole in a big oak scrap and then drove a McFeelys #8 square-drive screw in. With the drive in "drill" mode and low gear, I braced myself and buried the trigger to see how much farther it would drive the screw...it snapped the screw immediately!

So, yeah, it's got plenty of power :gar-La;

At 2.7 lbs, it is noticeably lighter than my Makita and 1-2" smaller in height and length. It has light that seems to be pointed in just the right place. It also has a battery-charge indicator (they call it the fuel guage)...time will tell how useful it is.

So far I'm impressed. If anyone is considering this drill - ping me in a few weeks/months for an update.

Chris

timf67

New User
Tim
Can't go wrong with a Milwaukee IMHO. I was given a Bosch 10.8V Litheon pocket driver as a "thank you" payment from an HVAC contractor when I told him I would do my own drywall work after having an old attic fan removed. I have a dewalt 14.4V drill and thought I would never use the little bosch...:eusa_doh: Boy was I wrong! this thing is awesome! It does everything I need it to do and it is small and lightweight to boot! So don't judge a cordless drill by its size or voltage!

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto. :icon_thum For the average homeowner and small shop screw driving, pilot holes, countersinks, etc. you can't go wrong. The cold might zap the power from these smaller batteries faster but I can deal with that too. On larger projects you'll need to have the replacement battery charged and ready but no problems. If you find yourself in occassional need for an impact driver, multi-tool or other tool in these groups you will find the added batteries will come in handy for quick switchouts but always keep a "corded beast" in reserve.

the2js97

New User
John
I've owned the 2410 M12 compact drill/driver for about a month now and I love it!

It's a little bulkier than some of the others but you know why once you use it. I love the chuck and the RPMs. It has replaced my Bosch PS20 and Hitachi DB10DL units.

Now the Milwaukee and Makita TD090DW are my favorite little everyday tools.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've owned the 2410 M12 compact drill/driver for about a month now and I love it!

When you pull the trigger in just beyond the point that the light & fuel guage turn on, but not enough to start the motor turning, does yours "beeeeeep"? Mine does. The beep continues once the motor starts turning and I think it continues as the motor speed increases, but can't be sure as the beep is eventually drowned out by motor noise.

I inquired with Milwaukee - they said the battery overload protection circuit was faulty and I should return it. I just got the replacement and it does exactly the same thing.

???

Chris

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
my new M12 drill also beeps exactly like you wrote and I think the beep continues thru the entire rpm range. I also have the M12 driver which I have had for over a year and it also beeps like that. Both seem to work just fine

the2js97

New User
John
When you pull the trigger in just beyond the point that the light & fuel guage turn on, but not enough to start the motor turning, does yours "beeeeeep"? Mine does. The beep continues once the motor starts turning and I think it continues as the motor speed increases, but can't be sure as the beep is eventually drowned out by motor noise.

I inquired with Milwaukee - they said the battery overload protection circuit was faulty and I should return it. I just got the replacement and it does exactly the same thing.

???

Chris

no beeping on mine

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I thought I should come back and update this - after returning my first one (on Milwaukee's advice) due to a beeping sound, the replacement does exactly the same. The response from MET was:

On the 2410-20 Drill this beep or high pitch sound is normal.
Sorry, I did not state this earlier.
Thanks again,
John....
So, apparently the version currently in production beeps whenever you use it. Strange. I assume this is a design defect that they have decided does not warrant fixing. I can't imagine why else you would make a drill beep in use :dontknow:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a little Bosch driver that looks a lot like your Milwaukee. They are definitely nice tools. Congrats.

PS- Mine doesn't squeak unless the battery is week and I don't have the torque set to low.

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
Home Depot on line presently has a deal with the M12, Small radio, 2 batteries and the charger for $79.00 and free shipping. I ordered mine yesterday.... My wife and I had a moratorium on any purchases because we are attending the arts and crafts conference in Asheville next month but when I saw the price I could not resist...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Home Depot on line presently has a deal with the M12, Small radio, 2 batteries and the charger for $79.00 and free shipping.

Doh! It's gone :( Too bad, for $79, that's less than it'll cost me for 2 new batteries some day, so I tried to order it, but no joy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS