Millers Falls Braces

Matt22

New User
Matt
I'm looking at picking up my first decent ratcheting 10" bit brace. Based on the comments on this forum and others, I'm looking at buying a Millers Falls 772 brace (or craftsman branded version of it) off of ebay. I saw this really helpful post here from 2016 (https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...r-millers-falls-brace-to-my-collection.59522/) showing how the lion chucks changed over time. All three versions are available to choose from on ebay for about the same price and in similar condition, is there one chuck version that anyone here has and prefers over the others for any other reason?

I'm probably pulling at hairs at this point, and I'm sure they're all up to the task, but just figured I'd ask before buying if all else (price and condition) is equal. Thanks!

These are the pictures from the 2016 post by MarkE showing the different versions of chucks:

14785-4e580b5ec3b0657f89464ae61f8ff091.jpg
14786-551bf695b884ad019f5c4d8420209969.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The one thing I don't collect... Braces. My knowledge is limited but I have 5 or 6 laying around that I use from time to time. None are the same and I haven't noticed a difference in the chucks during use.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Matt22 I sent you a PM as I have a few braces I plan to sell - I don't think I have any Miller's Falls... but there are a number of nice ones.
I have converted to the Spofford Braces, I have an 8" and a 10", I kept a 14" brace in case I get into boring larger holes, but I cannot see a reason for keeping all the examples I have collected...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I do have a couple of braces hanging around the shop. The one(s) I use the most are the North Bros.

I don't really notice much difference in any of the braces in use, They all get the job done if the bit is properly sharpened.

Attachments

• Bit Brace Storage Racks 002.JPG
    Bit Brace Storage Racks 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • North Bros 005.JPG
    North Bros 005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do have a couple of braces hanging around the shop. The one(s) I use the most are the North Bros.

I don't really notice much difference in any of the braces in use, They all get the job done if the bit is properly sharpened.
I think I have one or twelve of those! (and I will blame that on YOU @MarkE ) I think you were showing them off once and I thought, GEEZ those are cool! LOL

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I've had a Stanley 923 for many years and have always found it to be handy in many instances. Does Miller Falls have some improved features I'm not aware of?

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS