Milky spots in finish after applying finishing wax

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Okay, finishing is not my strong suit, so I'm hoping others have suggestions. I recently finished a wall hanging key/mask/leash rack for friends and I'm having some issues with the finish.

The piece was finished with 3 coats of tung oil/varnish mix about a week ago. Yesterday I put on a coat of liquid satin finishing wax and buffed it clean. This afternoon when I came down to the shop, my finish had developed some white, milky discolorations. Buffing with a rag didn't seem to make any difference, nor did a second coat of wax. Pictures of the spots are attached.

Any suggestions on what caused the spots and how to remove them? I can always sand the whole thing down, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks as always for taking a look.

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_222748520.jpg
    PXL_20210114_222748520.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20210114_222744887.jpg
    PXL_20210114_222744887.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Tung oil takes a long time to dry. If you recoat too soon the previous coat does not dry and will cause it to blush.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Hi Fred, I thought about that but this was a Watco one step "tung oil" finish that usually only takes a day or so to dry, so I'd be really surprised if it wasn't dry after a week. I'll give it some more buffing or some 800 grit and see if it's just excess wax that I didn't get off the first time.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Did you allow at least a day between coats? Also what was the temperature? Mineral spirits or DNA should remove the wax without harming the finish. If the white goes away then it's the wax. If not and it is still milky looking then it's blushing. Only fix I know of is strip and redo.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Excellent, thanks. Yeah, 1 day between coats of finish, ~6 days of sitting after. Temp in my shop is between 55 and 60 lately most of the day until I run the heater when I'm in here.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You should keep the temperature above 65 while the finish is drying (24hrs per coat) if the temperature is dropping overnight you should take it inside or at least allow more time per coat. Cold slows the drying process. Too cold and it may never dry.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Got it, will let it sit to warm up for a few days and keep 65 in mind. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
You should keep the temperature above 65 while the finish is drying (24hrs per coat) if the temperature is dropping overnight you should take it inside or at least allow more time per coat. Cold slows the drying process. Too cold and it may never dry.
GEEZ! smart AND fast... unbeliveable!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS