Milk Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am getting near the point of painting a project with milk paint, I used it only once before about 7 or 8 years ago. I was not too thrilled with the way it worked. Out of all the people that come to this site there has to be at least one with some "milk paint" experience. Any tips to make it work better and look better will be appreciated.

Jerry

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jerry, I have read a few articles on using Milk Paint in the past but have no experience using it yet. Hopefully one of our members will be able to chime in with some first hand experience for you.

D L

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
10-4 on reading the articles. There was an article in FWW magazine a while back by Dunbar. However, I value the experience of the less famous also.:) I talked with Curtis Buchannan in the last couple months----he paints all his windsor chairs----and found out a little more. Let's see what turns up here.

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thanks Dave-------that is where I bought my paint last time. I am one of those that have to get my hands in it to really understand it regardless of how much literature I read. I also like hearing about the hands on experience of others. I will review that site though. Thanks

Jerry

4yanks

New User
Willie
I have used milk paint a few times. What was it you weren't thrilled about? Was it the fact that it won't flow on? Or that it looks like mud when it dries? Seriously, I love the stuff. Let me know if you have a specific questions.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
4yanks said:
I have used milk paint a few times. What was it you weren't thrilled about? Was it the fact that it won't flow on? Or that it looks like mud when it dries? Seriously, I love the stuff. Let me know if you have a specific questions.

I probably just did not know what to expect---------What is your procedure from start to finish? I found out since that first time that quite a few people strain the milk paint through automotive paint strainers for the last coat----they say it gets all the lumps out(from the lye that is in it).
I plan to finish one of the writing arm chairs in black milk paint so any hints on procedure will help. Surface prep, application method, drying times, number of coats, applying BLO over the paint..............anything that would help in getting really professional results.:)

Jerry

4yanks

New User
Willie
Walnutjerry,

As in most finishing projects surface preparation is important. Since milk paint is water based this is exagerated. Once the project is sanded, raise the grain with water (I use tap water). Then sand again at the next higher grit. I mix the paint slightly thinner than the instructions call for. I have never strained it but it sounds like a good idea. I brush the paint on and let it dry. Once it is dry I use a Scotch-Brite pad and some elbow grease to clean the residue from the surface. Then sand again if necessary (usually just the first coat). Those spindles are a pain! I usually put 2-3 coats on. Sometimes, I use varying colors which doesn't change the procedure. When finished painting I will sand again if I want to make the finish look distressed. Then put a coat of linseed oil or shellac over it to give it a nice sheen. Brushing shellac on a finished windsor seems impossible to do without major problems so I've never done it. For them I use linseed oil. Make sure you aggressively wipe off the excess and give it ample drying time or the oil will leach into carpet along with paint residue (personal experience :crybaby2: ). Yeah, its a pain to work with, but I love the look, and unlike house paints it doesn't take years to dry. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
michaelgarner said:
let me know how it works out, i have been itchin to try some

You got it --------it may be as much as 3 weeks before I do it. I will try to post some pictures along the way also--------if I can make myself take time to do it.:)

Jerry

Gillie

New User
David
I've used milk paint from realmilkpaint.com

It leave a "chalky" finish. I decided to give it a coat of clear lacquer to protect it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
michaelgarner said:
let me know how it works out, i have been itchin to try some

Well Michael, I am into the milk paint now. I have posted some pics in my album http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/6/9/0/milkpaintprogress001.jpg

The pics show the first coat applied awaiting the light sanding for the second coat.

The direction sheet that is in the bag with the powder gives really good instructions. I added more water for the first coat. Started by wiping the chair down with a damp rag and then used a damp rag to wipe the paint on instead of a brush. It left a much more even coat with hardly any evidence of overlapping.:eusa_clap I went back after about 4 hours and did the light sanding for the next coat.:icon_thum I may try a foam brush or pad for the second coat, that is supposed to apply a more even coat than the conventional brush. The rag would probably do just as well though.

Will try to make more pics as things progress--------hopefully it will end up looking as it should.

Jerry

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Jerry, I just looked at your pics of the milk-painted chair, and for whatever reason, I could not have imagined the chair in any color other than white!!!! I know it comes in other colors, but my brain did not make that connection here. :BangHead:

Nice looking chair. Looks like it will be real sweet when you finish the paint!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
michaelgarner said:
now to build a project with milk paint being the finish,,,see what you started

Why not build a chair? More pics on the progress of the milk paint in my album.

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/6/9/0/milkpaintprogressoiled.jpg

They show the difference after rubbing down the chalky looking surface and applying the first coat of BLO. This pic was taken the 2nd day after coating. The pics are not great but you can compare with previous pics and see the difference in appearance----the oil ties all the layers of paint together as it soaks in, evens out the color and gives a little sheen. :icon_thum More work to do yet----will probably apply a hard coat when the oil dries.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors