Milescraft Sign Maker Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I picked this up last week (Klingspor has them in stock, for one) and made a few signs.

0192.JPG

View image in gallery

I read a few negative reviews on the lower priced unit and went for the Pro model. Only $15 more anyway. The kit has everything, including 2 low profile C-clamps that allow the router base to pass right over them. Both sized bits and a Milescraft base and template guide are included. In fact, if you have a plunge router, you're ready to make some signs, if you're OK with only 1 font. A workaround for the single font is to use a router pantagraph for the first character like I did here. I have a 30+ year old pantagraph (see turtle) that I used to make the large characters.

In use, it takes longer to find and place the letters/numbers in the holder than it does to rout them out. The character templates are sized to provide proper spacing simply by putting them into the carrier. Clamp the holder to the workpiece (must be as long as the holder-2 lenghts included), set the template guide into the character, switch on, plunge the router (directions give the depth) and push around inside the template. Couldn't be simpler. Cut the piece to length. Spray paint the routed out letters, let dry, then one or two passes through your planner and you're good to go. You can also route a profile on the edge before spray painting for a fancier sign.

MSRP is $59.95, but don't forget your 10% discount at Klingspor. And since you'll be there Sept 11 anyway; take a look.
It's addictive and you'll really use up some cut-offs in a hurry:3dblob3:!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I picked this up last week (Klingspor has them in stock, for one) and made a few signs.

I read a few negative reviews on the lower priced unit and went for the Pro model. Only $15 more anyway. The kit has everything, including 2 low profile C-clamps that allow the router base to pass right over them. Both sized bits and a Milescraft base and template guide are included. In fact, if you have a plunge router, you're ready to make some signs, if you're OK with only 1 font. A workaround for the single font is to use a router pantagraph for the first character like I did here. I have a 30+ year old pantagraph (see turtle) that I used to make the large characters.

In use, it takes longer to find and place the letters/numbers in the holder than it does to rout them out. The character templates are sized to provide proper spacing simply by putting them into the carrier. Clamp the holder to the workpiece (must be as long as the holder-2 lenghts included), set the template guide into the character, switch on, plunge the router (directions give the depth) and push around inside the template. Couldn't be simpler. Cut the piece to length. Spray paint the routed out letters, let dry, then one or two passes through your planner and you're good to go. You can also route a profile on the edge before spray painting for a fancier sign.

MSRP is $59.95, but don't forget your 10% discount at Klingspor. And since you'll be there Sept 11 anyway; take a look.
It's addictive and you'll really use up some cut-offs in a hurry:3dblob3:!

That looks like something I might use!:icon_thum I get a lot of cypress shorts and that could keep them out of the fire barrel!! Thanks, Joe!! :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the review Joe, I have one of these units and have used it a few times and have been happy with it. I just had to learn not to press down too hard on the rails because it caused deflection as evidenced by the distortion of some of the letters below. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That looks like a cool outfit there, Joe!:cool::cool:

Would be great for making signs for the grandkids! Ill have to have a close look next time I'm over harassing ya!:gar-Bi

A real good way to give that new Milwaukee plunge a workout.

Are there any different fonts available?

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Not that I'm aware of, but I got 3 letter sizes. I just realized that you've seen your Christmas gift. Or maybe not.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nifty work, Joe. :icon_thum

That reminds me, I got one of those kits that I need to knock the dust off of.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good review Joe.

Nice way to use some of the 'shorts' that keep piling up in the shop.
I'd forgotten we bought something like this about 8 years ago. Used it for what I had to have and stuck it back for next time -
That turtle could easily become a dovetailed lid for a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS