MIG weld black (gas) pipe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Here's an idle question: is it easy to MIG (actually flux-core wire-weld) common black pipe ? I assumed black-pipe was mild steel, but maybe its really more cast-iron-like ?

No, I don't plan on using this for gas-piping..I'm planning to make a large cross-dowel aka barrel nut by tack-welding a hex-nut into a section of black pipe. The cross-dowel will be used to repair my workbench - hence the post in this forum.

Related question: I was planning to run a threaded rod through the pipe and nut to keep everything in alignment while tacking. Will aluminum foil work to protect the threads from the welding slag ?

Thanks,
-Mark

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I would clean up the black as much as I could to prevent splattering, but welding black pipe is no big issue other than that. Aluminum foil should protect the threads just fine. Vaseline would work, too.

Some people use a special type of mig tip protecting jelly, but from what I've seen online, vaseline works just as good to keep your tips clean.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mark, I weld black pipe all the time, and it does just fine. Follow Ben's tips and your project should turn out well.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS