Midi Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledavid

New User
David
I am looking at buying a Midi lathe, anyone have any suggestions or comments about brands or models?
also have been looking for used ones as well, are there any made in the USA? any advice would be helpful.....Tks...:thumbs_up

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I absolutely love my Jet 1221 but the Delta is also a great choice.

Not too big on the overall quality of some of the others. For the size, Jet and Delta seem to be top dogs.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Jet as well - there are a few things I miss from a "Full sized" lathe - but not too many...

Delta is great with the reversing feature...

I heard someone say they LOVE the Rikon, but it does seem a little rough to me... I wish I could have had a week on all three to see which one I liked best...

I am not sure what the lathes are on the trailer (Novas?)

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I got lucky and found a delta 46-460 on craigslist close to home and cheap. It is a great machine.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I have had my Jet 1014 for about 10 years and it is still in good operating condition. Solid machine that is well designed.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I am a novice turner. I bought the Delta 46-460 two years ago after doing exactly what you are doing....asking here.:thumbs_up I am very pleased with the Delta. It does everything I need it to do at this point. It is expandable with the bed extension and I really like the variable speed and the reverse feature...particularly handy for sanding.

I chose the Delta for a several of reasons:

1. The brand. Delta has a good customer service reputation and a very good resale value.
2. Price. I got lucky and found mine on sale at Woodcraft for $500.
3. In 2011 Delta relocated to Anderson, SC. Made in the USA was a BIG factor for me.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Read the reviews on Amazon about the DELTA. The machine generally gets good reviews. Service, not so much.

I have the Jet 1220 VS. Love it. When I first got it I messed up the spindle threads. Entirely my fault. I ordered a new spindle from Jet and received it in less than a week. I’ve read reviews where Delta customers have waited months for parts.

The Jet 1221 VS is the newer model and has reverse. As far as I’m concerned that would eliminate any advantage Delta once had over Jet.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

The lathes on the Outreach trailer are Nova Comets. I would not recommend them. We have had a number of quality issues w/ them, and have even had to repair/rework a few things.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I've had a lot of delta's, rikon and jets. When I say a lot, maybe 15 lathes in total and not all new. I have this power tool issue that I can't explain and had to try a few out. I've had the Delta 46-460 for about 3 years and its a great machine. I recently purchased the Jet 1221vs. I'd recommend either one of these manufacturers and machines if you want a big lathe in a little package.
The biggest issue I've had with several lathes are the motor sizes. If you don't need reverse, then a 1/2 HP is fine. If you want reverse, then go with a 1 HP or larger.
Just my opinion YMMV.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have the Jet as well - there are a few things I miss from a "Full sized" lathe - but not too many...

Delta is great with the reversing feature...

I heard someone say they LOVE the Rikon, but it does seem a little rough to me... I wish I could have had a week on all three to see which one I liked best...

I just knew something wasn't right about you

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I've owned both the Jet and the Delta. You can't go wrong with either. The newer Deltas have some nice features, so I lean in that direction right now.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just knew something wasn't right about you
What is the "not right part?"
Because I turn the wood and hold the tool rather than hold the wood and turn the tool? :eusa_thin

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've owned both the Jet and the Delta. You can't go wrong with either. The newer Deltas have some nice features, so I lean in that direction right now.
Translation: buy something white, add something grey and get something mustard colored!:rotflm:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
On another site, I read that Delta might be closing up shop. They might have been bought out, or decided to stop producing Delta tools, but it is a consideration.

Roy G

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
found a little something...
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-DELTA-Power-Equipment-RVW3216423.htm

From a post labeled Former Management;

Current management lacks vision for woodworking market, brand history and brand development. All upper management staff ( (CEO COO CFO ENG MKTG SALES IT PLNT MGR FACILITIES QC PURCH)) that started the business have left. Ownership is auctioning all manufacturing equipment in the next 30 days and closing the US BASED PLANT.

What a shame...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like my variable speed reversible Delta Midi. I don't like the Lathes on the trailer. Nova makes some good lathes, but these are not one of them. One even has a cracked rail casting that we will have to replace. I don't have any experience with the Jet so can't speak to that one.

I do think I might like a larger lathe now, but not sure where I would put it if I had one. The Delta is mounted on a roll-around cart that I can shove in a corner when not in use and pull out in the middle of the shop, lock the casters and use when needed.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I looked into those Delta rumors last spring when they came around and found them word for word in forums going back to when B&D bought Delta. It seems like every spring (which also happens to be when many people buy new machinery) they get trotted out again. I have my own theory about the source of the rumors but that's neither here nor there. Seems to me Delta is doing much better than a certain yellow and white brand that was recently saved from bankruptcy at the nth hour.

What a shame...

That was written last October, had there been any truth to it the doors would have already been shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors