microwaving wood

TBoomz

New User
Ron
how good is the "average" kitchen microwave at heating in deep enuff to kill bugs? Anyone know? Say a 4" to 6" piece. Sometimes a piece with 'lots" of holes is desired - but not the bugs, still inside. Have wondered if a "light" dunking of piece in water, beforehand would create a steam effect inside the tunnels in addition to any heat.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James

Not something I recommend, what about putting the wood in the stove at a low temp for a long period of time to cook the lil buggers?

RickR

Rick
Senior User
You might try ‘sous vide’. Alternately put the chunk of wood in a zip top bag, suck out the air, and simmer for a while. The water will carry the heat to the wood well and limit how hot it can get.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
A 4x8 sheet of foam insulation, seam tape, cheap thermometer and a milk house style heater is all you need. Scott Smith showed me how and it worked like a charm. Make a box and blow the heat in... I can't remember the temp and duration but I'll look for the info he sent me.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20160305_151426.jpg

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
There was a small family owned sawmill near King's Mt. It was run by a Japanese couple, everything was state of art machinery. They 2 microwave kilns. Big tubes around 6 or 7 ft. in diameter and 10 ft. or so long, The power supply was 2 large cabinets sitting to the side. Some of us may have been to their mill. Their sons were not interested in saw milling so they shut it down. It was a great loss. Good wood and good prices. I was always fascinated with those kilns.

Pop

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tried microwaving once on some mesquite. Got it steaming hot. Bugs survived.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Some bugs can withstand increasable temps. Some eggs even higher.
I think I would use the defrost cycle. Not high. A conventional oven might be safer. I would not go over 300 or so.
Several videos suggest roughing the piece first.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
140 degrees for 72 hours is what the kilns out here use to sanitize the wood.
That should do it as even bed bugs die above 120. I bet there are some roaches that can do better though. It is amazing what some extremophiles can do.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
at what temp does wood begin to char in an oven? 72 hours in my old stove would probably result in house fire. How much of an increase could halve the cook time?... without charring the wood...

#8 mentions a slow cook time,...what benefit derived vs high heat - quick cook?

Have noted that microwave instructions generally state that a small volume of water be placed in microwave when heating. Is this to prevent damage to microwave?.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS