Microplane Sanding Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I picked up a pack of Microplane 5" sanding disks at the woodworking show in Charlotte. Finally got around to trying them. A little scary. The course and medium are very aggressive. My PC sander did suck up most of the dust they created unlike regular sandpaper.

Has anyone tried tried these disks?

Rick Doby

MarkW

New User
Mark
I saw those guys demoing them at the woodworker show and was fairly impressed, but I could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I would also like to hear from some that may have used them awhile.

R

rickc

rbdoby said:
I picked up a pack of Microplane 5" sanding disks at the woodworking show in Charlotte. Finally got around to trying them. A little scary. The course and medium are very aggressive. My PC sander did suck up most of the dust they created unlike regular sandpaper.

Has anyone tried tried these disks?

Rick Doby
Yes - I got a set also. As you said a little scary. I am still forming a final opinion. While it worked well enough, the end result seemed "fuzzy" to me. I touched it up with a finer grit of sandpaper. I will work them a bit more.

I also found the disk adheered a little too tightly to my PC. The instructions indicated you had to be careful when removing them to avoid bending. It took a bit of effort, and the disk did end up a little "warped" However, if it continues to stick that well, there should be no problem re-attaching.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
very cool, I have never used them. Are they marketing thease to cut down on sandpaper? If so for those who have used them how much would you save it has saved your time in sanding? If it is a positive investement it might be something we could all use. Have a blessed day

R

rickc

Yes - they are marketed as lasting considerably longer.

This information came from Rockler's site:
  • Each disc is equivalent to 30-40 sheets of sandpaper!
  • With hook-and-loop backing for easy attachment and removal.
  • Fits 5-hole and 8-hole pattern sanders.
  • Available in three grits (two discs per pack).
  • 5" disc assortment includes three discs (one of each grit).
  • For raw wood only.
Note the availability of an "assortment pack". One of each grit. You can read a review of them HERE

I would say this gentleman's experience is very close to mine.
In all honesty after reading the above review, I feel like my expectations are now a little more realistic. And make note of that one point - "For raw wood only". The "fuzziness" I experienced was not due to ME (this time!) as the reviewer had the same experience and approach to resolution. I will use them to "get close" to the finished product, and then finalize with standard sanding disks. My expectations are to have my supply of disks last quite a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS