Method To Hold Flute on Tailstock End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I turn flutes in 3/4 , 7/8 and 1"...I rout two pieces and glue them together to achieve the bore....Then I put the hollow 1 1/2" blank onto a mandrel and turn it round....Sometimes I need to put it back into the lathe for just a little bit and and want another method beside the mandrel...Mandrel works great but I am going to use a jamb chuck on the headstock (just a block of wood on a faceplate with turned down steps) but I need something simple for tailstock end.....Also if I didnt rout quite deep enough and I am a little undersize I can split the thin flute when I put it back on the mandrel....So I just need something simple on the tailstock end to hold the flute for sanding , putting burnlines etc. I have begun boring some but still do some this way.... Thanks !!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mike,

If you use a steady center that is dead on center, you can use your live center even though the point isn't touching anything. The steady will make a mark on the outside surface though unless the steady has really soft wheels and you are turning hardwood. Even then, it will likely polish it a little.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Maybe something like this turned to fit your flute?

IMG_01263.JPG

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Wouldn't a cone center work? Because of it's shape it would hold the flute centered and not leave any damage. Here's a review of the Oneway cone system by NC WW'er Tom Hintz. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Because the flute is thin walled the cone tends to push it apart. My first attempt was ruined in this manner, split it wide open. A snug fitting cylinder with a step flange works much better.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Because the flute is thin walled the cone tends to push it apart. My first attempt was ruined in this manner, split it wide open. A snug fitting cylinder with a step flange works much better.

I was thinking more of using the reversed one. I don't how big the flutes are. The diameter may not be large enough to use the reverse one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors