Metal or Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
I am looking into building a new shop on my property. What do you recommend as far as a metal building vs a traditional stick building? Any recommendation on size or type of building? I know bigger is better and I do have 5 acres but want to watch my budget as I still need to buy a good cabinet saw and some other tools. Also if you recommend a metal building kit . . . what brand or company? Thanks, Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Hawkeye,

I suggest that you look at Moton Buildings and have them give you a price on putting up an insulated shell for you. They provide a good value and, every one of their buildings that I have seen, have a crisp & clean look. Their buildings are basically pole barns with metal roofs and metal siding. 1500 square feet would be great with a 10' ceiling. Here's a link to their site.

bobby g

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a 24 x24 conventional wood framed shop and a small metal storage shed. I did not consider a metal building because I had every intention of fully insulating the shop and insulating a metal building seemed to be problematic as a DIY'r. My uninsulated metal shed could quite easily double as a dry kiln in the summer months. :gar-La; I would think that since you are at the coast storm stability and salt water/air corrosion might be factors. I chose 24 x24 since that was within my price range and a lot of the shop layout plans in books and mags use that size basis. Now that I have been in there for a few years I see that a little larger would be nicer (many here feel the same way whatever the size of their shop :rotflm:) My only real regret was not going a little higher, 8' ceilings can be a problem at times. As always, YMMV. :wsmile:

manfre

New User
Manfre
When looking at metal buildings, find out if the ceiling supports are designed to handle the weight of a drop ceiling, insulation and hanging lights. Many are only rated to the weight of the roof with a certain amount of snow weight and cannot handle anything else.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Last year I had a construction job to where I was building stick built shed/shops/storage buildings. Luckly this job was inside - inside of a large metal no insulation / no heat/no AC with a canvas top. Very cold in winter very hot in summer. If I ever get a chance to build a bigger shop it will be stick built 16x24 with 9' ceiling for clearance - as stated above - will you insulate your shop? How much weight are you looking at for the roof ststem/ are you planning on any storage in the attic area? Do you get alot of the sea air that contains salt that will/might do damage to any of your metal? Morton has some great buildings but I would also look/ask around for a truthful cantractor that will do you a great job JMTCW

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Phillip,
I do plan on insulating the shop. I have a smaller barn I will be using for wood storage and not need a lot of attic storage in the new building. We do not get a lot of the salt air but some great points on the effects of the heat and cold on a metal bldg vs a stick one. Thanks, Tim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tim, it seems that stick may be more cost effective to build if you plan to put up insulation and sheath the interior walls. The reason why is that you have to add the studs in order to support the sheathing.

Metal may be more cost effective if you just need enclosed (but unfinished) storage.

Plus, you can finish stick off to match your house, whereas a metal building usually looks like, well... a metal building.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey Tim,

I would recommend the wooden structure if you are planning on attaching anything at all to the walls, I have a 32'x40' pole barn building and by design it does not allow anything to really be attached to the wall, much like a metal building. I have done well with it because of the total size of the space but feel that stick built would have given many more options.

Good luck,

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Jimmy,
Thanks. I understand. I have a small pole barn (16x18) and looking at a new building since to make the pole barn functional; I would have to raise the building, put in a slab then lower the bldg again. I was thinking if I need to go to that much trouble I might as well build a new building. Besides, it would not be long to grow out of the smaller building. Thanks again, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS