Messy KBodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have been struggling with trying to clean up glue ridden bars on my collection of Kbody clamps.

I have tried soaking in vinegar, applying heat and brushing with a wire brush but to no avail. (I do try to protect the bars from drips by using wax paper blue tape etc., but still have the issue of removing the hardened glue.)

Any tricks out there worth trying?

Thanks,

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used an old screwdriver to pry off larger chunks of dried glue. For small drips or smears I use a brass wire wheel on a grinder.

Try applying some paste wax or paraffin to the bars after you get them cleaned up. It makes it a little easier to remove the glue drips once they harden.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wire brush on a Dremel tool or even a drill might also work fairly well, though I haven't tried it.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Unless it's epoxy glue, heat (140 Degrees F.) will soften it. Maybe you did not get the steel warm enough. For reference: 115-120 is about as warm a surface as most people's hand/fingers can tolerate. 125 Gets uncomfortable after 5 seconds and 130 is too hot to handle.

Titebond had a spot in a recent magazine suggesting heat guns to remove glue residue from clamps and such. I'll see if I can find it among the "pile".

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Soak the clamps in hot water in the bath tub and then use white vinegar while scraping the glue away.
After the bars are cleaned up , try treating them with neverwet from home depot. Nothing will stick to the metal, recoating will need to be done time to time becuase its not abrasion proof.

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Heat gun has worked for me. I take the plastic covered jaws off first! Get them hot and the glue wipes off.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
My method is crude but works for me: I use a utility knife to scrape the glue off and it makes the clamps operational again. There are still stains of course, but the mechanism work fine. However, the Neverwet idea above sounds good, and would be a lot less effort.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Heat will loosen most finishes. Use a heat gun or a carefully weilded propane tourch. Paint stripper will work in most cases but it may stain the metal. I use a wire wheel on my grinder to clean up the serrations on the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS