Mentor/coach needed for cabinet refacing project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveler

New User
Melody
If you can help with any or all aspects of this project, please contact me. I’m in Cary/Apex near 55 and 64. Timing is flexible. Let me know your rates.

Problem: Ugly bathroom vanity.
Project: Replace/modify vanity to complement bedroom furniture
I’d like to reface my bathroom vanity and need someone to coach/advise me through this project. I have done several remodeling jobs in my house, mostly light carpentry and trim. (Although I did tackle a kitchen remodel a couple of years ago.) I love my little Paslode nail gun & router, but I know just enough to be dangerous…. Demolition is fun --- then comes the difficult part! :eek: This project involves “outside-the-cabinet” thinking, veneering, and finishing skills…. I have no experience veneering and limited finishing (other than painting). I’m willing to “farm out” some aspects of the project if necessary, but probably can’t afford to have someone do it all. Plus, I like the satisfaction of doing the work myself, even if the result looks less-than-professional.

Details : I’d like a vanity to resemble my bedroom furniture – sort of “Old World”, antique style. It appears that the drawers and doors are made from veneered MDF. They are very thick as if made in layers: slab, veneer, then molding; no fancy joints – (glue and nails?). I want to just replace the cabinet face-frame, cutting the holes for the drawers/doors a little larger so that the new drawers/doors are inset.

Any suggestions? Comments? (Other than I’m crazy --- I already knew that!)

Oh yes, be FOREWARNED : If no one is willing to get PAID for their advice and knowledge, then I will be "forced" to post incessantly on these forums asking for advice on each phase of my project. :wink_smil
Thanks.
Melody

old cabs : http://www.flickr.com/photos/8634940@N08/4605998086/
desired style : http://www.flickr.com/photos/8634940@N08/4606025190/

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
First of all - I have NO experience refacing cabinets at all. I have only built ones from scratch. I did buy a video at Lowes titled "A Guide to Affordable Cabinet Refacing" by Quality Doors. It is a neat video. This video recommends the following steps:

1) Remove the old doors
2) Paint or apply pressure sensitive adhesive veneer to the cases (right over the face frames)
3) Install new doors and drawer fronts - which they want you to order from them.

They even sell 1/4" panels for the ends that match the finish on the doors and veneer.

I live near Pittsboro. Send me a pm with your address, and I will be more than happy to mail you the video.

If applying the veneer over the face frames works for your look, it would be so, so much easier than trying to remove the face frames.

Good Luck!
Amy

Traveler

New User
Melody
Amy,

Thanks for the offer of the video. I have several friends out in your direction (Jordan Lake area) whom I need to see anyway, so I might take you up on it. I need to get a little further along, first though. The video would help for the veneering.

However, this isn't a "pure" refacing project. I don't like my overlay doors, and the openings are smaller than I want. No one offers cabinet doors with a burl front. I could order an unfinished slab door and apply the veneer and trim myself.

Have you ever done veneering? I'm curious if I can do it without the vacuum press.

Thanks again for your offer!

Melody
P.S. I love your avatar -- cute idea!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
based of photos of old and desired :} dont waste ur time on trying to change the old. They are nothing but mdf. For your new style just easier and better to make new. Worst case you can take a small drive out here to Zebulon and I can most likely help ya out.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I agree with Jack, old cabinets are "curb furniture." That means they are found at the curb on "trash day." I find that trying to use old and marry to new is like a divorce - long and expensive. Before doing more, get hold of a copy of Danny Proulx's book "Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets." His tech is simple and very do able. This finish shown on bedroom furniture looks like a stain with a glaze over it, then some poly, or laquer over top. If you look at the units, there are two drawer banks and a filler in the middle. All do able by most any woodworker. But the finish is the bear. There are shops that will build your drawer fronts, and doors. Also note the "book match" on front of doors, and "curlley" on some drawer fronts. To get this effect, you will need to lay up your own panels from stock which you resawed, or get successive flitches from a log. Bruce

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Danny was a gem; I "talked" to him alot and his loss was sudden and he left a big hole in the cabinetmaking world

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Danny was a gem; I "talked" to him alot and his loss was sudden and he left a big hole in the cabinetmaking world
AMEN! I just never could get into plugged screw holes in his cabinets. But his methods definitely changed my methods. When he died, and Cabinetmaker no longer had the "Ask Danny" column, the magazine changed. I didn't even bother to renew my subscription even though it was free.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Now that cabinetmaker and Fdm have merged both in the mag and website I seldom bother to go or read. Seems that all they are now is for big shops with cnc etc:no:

Traveler

New User
Melody
Thanks Bruce & Jack for the advice and book recommendation. There are so many books out there for woodworking, it helps for someone to pin it down to ONE for me! I'll check out the book & consider chunking the old cabs.

I'll check back in after I get started, with more questions I'm sure. Or if we're REALLY lucky, a "finished" TA-DA project. :rolf:

Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS