Mending a dining chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I want to fix a dining room chair for a friend, but I'm not sure how to proceed. :dontknow:

The seat base has a major split/crack from front to back, but not to the point that the chair is gonna collapse. I'm thinking about using a couple of butterfly "mending" plates. I've seen these, but have never done one.

Butterfly_.jpg

How about my dimensions? Too wide, too long, too narrow at the throat?

Installed on the top of the seat or the bottom for better structural stability?

Need advice from any and all. :help:

Thanks in advance.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
It would help if you could include a pic. My first thought is not the butterfly you shetch, but glue in a spline in the crack. This would strengthen the bottom as well as make any repair less noticable. The butterfly is not going to prevent further splitting.
Jim in Mayberry

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Since I usually look for the easy way, I would use pocket screws. Like Jim said, without seeing a pic can't say if this would work though.

MTCW

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The seat should be removable. It may be as simple as gluing the seat back together. I have done that and it did work fine. Once you have the seat off of the chair it will be easy to see if that would work, if you can put a spline in, or do a bow tie patch. KISS, don't over think it.

Berta

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks all for the initial thoughts and suggestions. I'll get some pics when my buddy brings the chair to my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS