Media Credenza Project

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
I finally finished this a couple of weeks ago. This was the first piece on my wife's wish list for the living room. Got a bookcase and two end tables left. You all were helpful in deciding the joinery. All of it is maple except the drawer bottoms and back which are plywood. Went with dados for the four vertical pieces like many of you suggested and also on the wood whisperers credenza project. The doors are cope and stick with shaker router bit. I used a decorative metal from a big box store to help with the electronics in the ends. THe shelving is adjustable, but I ended up routing an 1/8th inch groove into the ends of the shelves and slid them in over the shelf supports. I saw it in fine woodworking and it worked surprisingly well and they feel very tight. I was a bit worried having an adjustable shelf where we have a soundbar causing some rattling. Obviously, we are not audiophiles since we put the soundbar in the credenza. However, that was another surprise how good it sounds with no rattling. The drawers are lock rabbet reinforced with some dowels. I had to use ambrosia maple for the drawers. My wife called an audible and wanted two big drawers instead of three smaller. The ambrosia I had already had the right width to make it work without making another trip to the Hardwood Store. Big ups again to them...always enjoy going there. After pricing out the leather pulls we liked, I ended up making my own. That was a fun little side project. My wife is our finisher, and she used General Finishes High Performance Topcoat (satin) sprayed with a Fuji 3. Thanks for the design help and inspiration seeing your projects on here!!

IMG_1704.JPEGIMG_1700.JPEGIMG_1697.JPEGIMG_1698.JPEGIMG-1695.jpgIMG_1699.JPEGIMG_1696.JPEG

ssmith

New User
Scott
It seems I'm not the only one working on a never ending list for the wife. :)

This looks great - the design is unusual and interesting, and it looks really well made. Nice solution to the electronics cooling problem - the metal screen looks good and kind of hides the hardware too!

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
What an awesome job, love the metal grate to help with cooling electronics inside the unit. I have some over heating issues in my tiny media center - have been trying to decide between buying a new unit and making something myself. Your work is very inspiring!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS