Media Blasting Service

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon - I'm in the middle of a rebuild for a Delta carbide grinder. I've gotten everything disassembled but there are so many parts that have small nooks and crannies that I think media blasting would speed the process up. I'm looking for some suggestions of services near me (Winston Salem, NC) - near me would be within 60 to 90 minutes. Another member that had the capability of media blasting would be great - I would prefer to give my money to a fellow member. :)

Thanks for any ideas

Rick

llucas

luke
Senior User
Well some time back I got the urge to restore an old yard glider and bought this.
That plus some play sand from the big box store. With some practice and lots of time (big project) it worked pretty well.
Please be advised that wearing protective gear, especially breathing protection, is mandatory.
There are other (less problematic) media for blasting but their expense led me to the above.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Just curious (I don't want to be in the blasting business) but what size compressor does that take

Rick

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
a 20-gallon compressor at 4CFM is the smallest shown, other comments indicate 9CFM is needed

llucas

luke
Senior User
Well, I used a compressor with a 20 gal tank and 5cfm at 90. That's my main shop compressor. Blasting takes a lot of air, so I would have to wait sometimes for the pressure to build back up. The most aggravating thing was keeping the medium (sand) flowing through the supply hose, repeatedly having to adjust the intake into a fresh section of sand.
I did this in warm, humid weather and the moisture coming from the compressor was a real PITA as it clumped the sand sometimes...a good water trap is a necessity. I eventually installed a section of black iron pipe in my air system which did an amazing job of trapping the water.
All in all, I still think it was a good investment, especially if you are doing small jobs. And it doesn't take up much room to store it away for the next time you have a blasting need.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I did find someone who was only 15 minutes away. I took 2 end bells (thwese are not normal size end bells - probably twice the normal surface area), 2 fairly large drip trays, the base the stator bolts to, the pedestal column and the pedestal base - estimate is $60 to $75. More than I was hoping for but my wife says I need to get out more :)

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS