Measuring, Marking and Calibration Tools

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I was cleaning up my shop a bit and realized I was not putting my measuring and marking tools away in the same spot. After cleaning up, I figured I would post some of these to share what I am using for measuring and marking.

With the exception of the digital calipers, most of the calibration tools are strictly used for setting up tools correctly. The machinist square is a Must Have for everything in the shop.
It is important to verify all tools from time to time to make sure there has been no drift. The others are more for one time kind of things. I did not put everything out mostly, because I have too many(might need to join tools anonymous).

In my job, I have to come up ways to keep the budget in line. The result is often done with unique jigs to assist our field techs in being more efficient in their work. So, often I am working with metals, wood and plastics. Because of this, there are real challenges in measuring, marking, and cutting. This part of my job is fun for me, the rest........ well, it is what it is.
The one thing I did discover is the permanent chalk markers. These are really useful, I use them with hard exotic woods like Purple Heart, Teak, etc. After scribing a line with a knife, you can wipe off the excess and it will inbed in the scribe leaving the line showing. This is really helpful for my old eyes. Also, the other colors offer opportunity for contrast. I end up using the orange, light green and pink more than the others. The rubber ink markers are excellent with oily or wet items (we used to call these wreckers markers), but it is a huge line. They are removed with Rubbing Alcohol. The marks a lots you all know. The Posca, I use of filling in minor marks, it is a kinda fixit item, just thought it was interesting to show. The punches, soapstone and other scratch/cutting marking items you all know. Most of these you can get at the Art/Hobby store or Amazon.

One item I highly recommend if you do not have is the general digital angle finder. This is a awesome tool, especially for the cost. Accurate and really useful.

The long straight edge is something I made at work. It is for really just lining out stock. The ft. marks are only for reference. The advantage of having some machining tools at my disposal (kinda, mgmt is not supposed to touch tools... screw those guys - ;)).

Anyway, when I was young I did not appreciate measuring tools like today, right tool for the application begins with measuring and marking 1st. Hope this offers some insight.

Attachments

• MMC Tools.jpg
    MMC Tools.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 197

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Pretty nice looking collection. I second the angle finder, that is really useful.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS