Measuring for even spaces:

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
Measuring for even spaces:

Want to check how I am calculating spacing dividers evenly along a certain length of wood
Is correct.

This example the outside length of the box is 10 inches in length using stock thickness of 23/32.
The divider material will have a thickness of ⅛ inch hardboard.
WIll need three empty spaces which will require 2 dividers.

Step 1: Calculate inside length.
10 - 2(23/32) = 8 9/16
Step 2: Calculate total thickness of divider stock
2 x ⅛ = ¼
Step 3: Find total unused space
8 9/16 - ¼ = 8 5/16
Step 4: Calculate individual space between dividers
(8 5/16) / 3 = 2 37/48

Are the above steps a correct way to calculate spacing.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Use a set of dividers or a compass. Set it to about 1/3 the length of the board if sides are inside the board mark off that space on each end.

Starting at the first mark step the dividers across the space three times, adjust till there is 1/8 inch past the line you drew on the far side.

Now step and mark twice from each end and you will have the two interior rabbets marked.

I hardly ever measure anything.

Do you have a ruler marked in 48ths? Maybe decimal would work better for you?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Wish I could remember all the plane geometry. That solution could be worked out that way by reconstructing angles-----if I could just remember how to explain it LOL

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Your calculation is technically correct, but I have a question: Do you have a tape/ruler calculated in 48ths? All of mine are in 16 ths, 32nds, 64ths, etc.

Unless there is an absolute critical reason why the three bays have to be equal, why not make the two outside bays the same (say 2 3/4", which would equal 2 36/48) and leave the middle bay as the balance (2 38/48). I don't think the naked eye will spot the difference.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Take piece of wood lightly longer than interior of case, and divide it into thirds. Make this piece something that easily divides into thirds. Take another piece that is as long as interior of the case. Lay first piece on top of second, so that the ends are flush. It will be diagonal. Mark the two points where thirds mark occur on bottom piece. This will mark your center lines for partitions. No math involved, other than doing thirds on first piece. Instead of a piece of wood, you can use a ruler instead. Drafting 101, first semester

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Kurt, your steps are correct. As you can see, there are many different ways to do it, as well as many different ways to execute the cuts, depending on tools to be used. If using a table saw to make the cuts, just remember to allow for the end pieces, as well as the divider thickness when setting your fence. If you make the cuts in a narrow board first, it will verify your settings, and you can use it to set up the fence ensuring you get the same spacing when cutting both sides, or multiples.

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
Thanks for all the input all. I know there is a ..it ton of ways to figure out centering or dividing stuff but I always like the math behind how things get done. I prefer to use a pencil and paper as I think of my next project and not use any type of computer-aided drawing tool for my next project other than a calculator. The main reason I don't like to use computer-aided drawing programs is I work with computers all day long and just get tried of the dam screen.

Again thanks all for your input. Great community to be apart of!

Kurt

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The main reason I don't like to use computer-aided drawing programs is I work with computers all day long and just get tried of the dam screen.
I couldn't agree more! Working with pencil and paper slows me down, forces me to think through what I'm about to draw and is just more relaxing. After 8 hours in front of a screen I'm done with computers for the day. Not knocking those who do use CAD programs... they're great. Just not my first choice.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I prefer to use a pencil and paper as I think of my next project and not use any type of computer-aided drawing tool for my next project other than a calculator.

If you want to go full Luddite, check these out

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS