Measure Once, Cut Right Through...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
EVERYTHING! I am such a dolt. I had put the piece on top of my tablesaw in order to mark it and make the cut. I don't have my ususal limited space anymore, I now have much LESS!! Anyway, to cut :wink_smil...er...make a long story short...I forgot to move the board to a safer location, such as someone elses shop!!!! Then, I make my cut...now before ya go, "how did you not know?" I had installed a new blade on my circular saw just minutes prior. That sucker can cut aluminum like it was butter. So, the board drops off and reveals the damage! :eek::eek::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::BangHead::BangHead::slap::slap:

So, my partner decides this is a good time for a smoke and steps out in to the garage. Just in time to catch the show. Needless to say...:argue:...then...:eusa_thin...maybe I can get a new tablesaw out this! Hmmm, she goes back inside and comes out meer seconds later...and...:realmad: "No new tablesaw for you! And you think I'm going to let you get a bandsaw now???":cry_smile:cry_smile:cry_smile:help:

Measure_Once_Cut_Everything.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Arg!!! That's one cut you wish you could take back. Been there, done that. Not on the table saw, but the vise on my work bench.
You definitely need a new table saw. One that has loads of cast iron that can't be cut...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks like we gonna hafta change ur name to dullblade!:rotflm: it happens....... but I wouldn't tell anyone.:embaresse well maybe not anyway.:gar-Bi sometimes that's how we learn the what not to's

JohnW

New User
John
OH MY!!!...Anna-Catherine,
I happen to be a very experienced expert on the subject of dunderheaded cuts. I can state without hesitation that you MUST have a new table saw AND a new band saw. And a new BIG workshop to house them. It's the only logical answer. If you had all three, this would never happen. You must do it for your own safety and the safety of those around you.
Oh....and Fred is correct...Dull Blade.:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Look at the positive side - it's a good straight cut. BTW circular saws cut metal better when the blade is installed backwards, don't ask me how I know this - I just do :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Look at the positive side - it's a good straight cut. BTW circular saws cut metal better when the blade is installed backwards, don't ask me how I know this - I just do :gar-La;
Jeff, I consider you an expert on all things backward :rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Man, that sucks!

I'd say the worst part is that your partner saw it happen, but it was a nice straight cut and it doesn't look like you nicked off too much of the TS. I have two of those plastic saw horses that I use when cutting with a circular saw (most of the time). It doesn't matter if you saw through those. I hope you can get that worked out and get the tools you need, but I bet you'll never make that mistake again. :wink_smil

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Yep,them saw blades will cut right through aluminum without even knowing it.My father has a ladder with shortened legs.Tony

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
looks like we gonna hafta change ur name to dullblade!:rotflm: it happens....... but I wouldn't tell anyone.:embaresse well maybe not anyway.:gar-Bi sometimes that's how we learn the what not to's
Keep the name "sharpe blade", but add "dull brain:widea:." My son proved that a new Diablo 40 tooth blade WILL cut the steel extension wings on a table saw. Some fellow workers once cut a sheet of plywood laying across the top of the bed on a BRAND NEW pickup. From picture, it looks like that's your sliding table?

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I would play the "Safety card" and tell your partner the dangers of circular saws compared to table saws. I have not cut any extension cords or saw cords once I switched to a table saw.
I did cut a 4ft florescent tube that fell from a over head light fixture that I hit with a board I turning around. The WWII is a great blade for cutting those I determined. Still finding glass after four years but did replace the light with one that had a cage. Safety card again.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am indeed sorry to hear of your misadventure but I am sure that everyone here has had a similar moment or two. :gar-La; You are to be commended for having the bravery to post it here leaving yourself open to the good natured ribbing from your fellow woodworkers. :wsmile:

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
We've all make mistakes like that... I was installing a floor in an attic and had to cut a notch in a sheet around a support. The customer was mightily impressed with the square hole I cut in his ceiling, RIGHT ABOVE HIS HEAD!!!

sawduster

New User
Robert
My shop is small and I have to do all of my gluing, cutting , planing etc outside on temporary tables i built and some sawhorses . There is not a single table with out at least one missing corner and " auxiliary " cuts in it :gar-La; I think it gives them character :icon_thum

.....though i don't have the obligatory electrical-tape repair on my saw's cord ....yet :banana:

Thanx for the chuckle :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS