MDF Fasteners Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrdan

New User
Update your profile with your name
Is there a local shop in Raleigh where I can buy the confirmat style fasteners with the special drills and drivers?

I'm new to the forums so if I've posted in the wrong place to get a quick answer pleasae let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

PS: any special tricks or tips when painting MDF?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome to the forum!

I think you could get confirmat fasteners at Klingspor's Woodworking Supply store on Capital, or Woodcraft out on 70.

As to painting MDF, I have done it recently, and I used Zinser BIN primer, which is shellac based. It went on really nicely, and the paint I put on over it is holding up well on a bookshelf in my children's room.

ddrdan

New User
Thanks for the quick response Pete. Greatly appreciated. Thanks for the tip on painting also.

Dan

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Raleigh Hardwood Group The Hardwood Group - Member of the Wurth Group is another local source for confirmat.

Just out of curiosity, why are you using confirmat screws? Is this a RTA or KD construction? I have been using Zip-R screws from Haefele (other manufacturers have equivalents), they do not require pre-drilling (even though I still do), have a self counter sinking head, do not split MDF. I just set up the box this way: apply glue, use a pin nailer to hold the pieces in place then use the Zip-R screws for final assembly.

Cheers,
Bernhard

ddrdan

New User
Raleigh Hardwood Group The Hardwood Group - Member of the Wurth Group is another local source for confirmat.

Just out of curiosity, why are you using confirmat screws?

This is for a California Closet. (see below) It will not be KD. I want the confirmat for a good depth on the countersink for wood putty. I don’t want the cheap look of caps or stickers. I’ve also heard that the confirmat has excellent hold strength with the large thread depth. I’ve heard the Zip-R strips when you try to countersink it to far. Is that true? I also like the drive on the confirmat. I’m not a Phillips drive fan. Does the Zip-R come with a square drive?

jimwill48, I will do some research on the Spax. Never used them before.

closetlayoutgr8.jpg

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
... I’m not a Phillips drive fan. Does the Zip-R come with a square drive?
Nice closet. What hardware are you sing?

Zip-R are avalable in phillips and square drive, the equivalent screw from Wuerth is available in Pozi and torx in addition to square and phillips drive.
Also, can't run out the head as happens so easy on cheap stuff.

Actually, I like Spax screws, too. But Can't find a supplier.

Confirmats do take longer use and are more expensive.

..just my 2 cents

Bernhard

jimwill48

James
Where do you get Spax screws? Is HD short for The Homey Dopey Store? If so, my local HD does not carry them.

Thanks,
Bernhard

Yep! Home Depot. I buy mine at the Statesville store the Huntersville Store doesn't carry them so it may be hit or miss as to which HD will have them. I try to keep a stock of most sizes in 6 & 8's. Cost is around $5.00 and quanity depends on size (6x1" is 100)

JW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors