MDF Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I just finished routing nine 3/4' x 3/8" dadoes in MDF using my new dado jig. While I wore a dusk mask to keep from inhaling the dust, the dust went everywhere. The router I was using doesn't have dust extraction, so dust when everywhere. Plus, I'm told that the Rikon vacuum doesn't have enough suction for certain tools, like the router. I've spent the last hour vacuuming the garage. (Half that time was spent trying to get the new expanding hose on the vacuum to expand.) What's the secret to working with MDF dust to prevent inhaling it and getting it all over the shop? A NASA space suit might help with the health issues, but they're sort of expensive. And hot.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The most practical answers if you will do much with MDF, aside from possibly working outdoors, are using a router with either integrated or add-on dust collection (add-on kits are a bit harder to find since PC discontinued their kit, but you may still be able to find them) and a good shop vac and for ultimate dust control do your routing on a downdraft table with either an integrated vacuum and filter system or a suitable DC connected via a 6” hose.

It also helps a great deal to have a ceiling mounted air cleaner running while routing and for up to an hour afterwords to scrub the airborne dust from the air. If you can setup somewhere in front of the intake side of the air cleaner then the lighter dust will be immediately drawn into the air cleaner without needing to first circulate around the room to reach the intake.

But any, or all, of those will help to reduce the dust to far more manageable levels.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good suggestions above. MDF and particle board are always a mess, especially when routing or sanding. I have quit using MDF or such

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Working with a bunch of MDF was the primary reason I started acquiring Festool equipment.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I will not allow MDF in my shop. The glue is carcinogenic and the dust is horrible for your lungs even if you think you got it all. The super fine stuff will get you. Just say NO!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
The most practical answers if you will do much with MDF, aside from possibly working outdoors, are using a router with either integrated or add-on dust collection (add-on kits are a bit harder to find since PC discontinued their kit, but you may still be able to find them) and a good shop vac and for ultimate dust control do your routing on a downdraft table with either an integrated vacuum and filter system or a suitable DC connected via a 6” hose.

It also helps a great deal to have a ceiling mounted air cleaner running while routing and for up to an hour afterwords to scrub the airborne dust from the air. If you can setup somewhere in front of the intake side of the air cleaner then the lighter dust will be immediately drawn into the air cleaner without needing to first circulate around the room to reach the intake.

But any, or all, of those will help to reduce the dust to far more manageable levels.

What he said. If you can't work with it outside, then you really need a good dust collection system. My CNC table is MDF and when I have to plane it smooth I make sure my DC bag is empty and filter clean so it has best possible suction, and I run my ceiling air cleaner for hours during and after. The filter is visibly dirtier after cutting MDF. And the MDF has a habit of clogging up the filter and canister in the DC so I have to be sure to clean those when done. Overall I hate working with MDF.

I will not allow MDF in my shop. The glue is carcinogenic and the dust is horrible for your lungs even if you think you got it all. The super fine stuff will get you. Just say NO!

Wish I could keep MDF out of my shop, but I severely limit the use of it, mostly just to CNC spoil board.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad. The idea of a down draft table is interesting. Just my luck. These dadoes were the absolute best I've ever cut. Now I need to migrate that technique to wood.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad. The idea of a down draft table is interesting. Just my luck. These dadoes were the absolute best I've ever cut. Now I need to migrate that technique to wood.

My cleanest and best cuts were in MDF, just by the nature of the material, but those clean cuts come at a price :)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Yes, I pretty much agree with this ^^. If you have to use it, get it out of your shop.

I used to use MDF quite a bit before I knew about the health hazards. I have a friend who works in a commercial cabinet shop they quit using it years ago for liability reasons & because the expense of upgrading the DC system.

BTW, particle board is not much better, nor is Chinese plywood.

If you have to use it, try to strategically time things so you can leave the shop for a few hours when you're done cutting and leave the exhaust fan running.

Be sure to put a HEPA filter on your shop vac, and empty it as soon as you're done.

Do not take the respirator off until you leave the shop.

Be sure to blow off all your clothes and shoes with compressed air.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I use both MDF & particle board. Never worried too much about it. You can do a lot worse try blood wood. A lot of the exotics are carcinogenic some folks are even allergic to our old friend walnut. A lot of these dangers & problems just go with the territory of woodworking. Wear a respirator protect your eyes they don't like the dust either. Keep the floor & rest of the place somewhat clean. On this latter point I'm guilty as charged. Sometimes my shop floor resembles the floor of a old fashion meat market. As my old fire chief use to say "just do the best you can with the equipment you have to work with."

Pop
:BangHead:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I sure hope the danger is from long-term exposure. After my debacle with MDF, I left the garage until after noon the next day. It was a surprise to see how much of the MDF dust had settled back on the contents of the garage. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and bought another shop vacuum to clean up some of the mess. MDF is no longer allow in my garage workshop, either. However, I do have to make about 10 more cuts, but the Festool and SawStop have good dust collection, and I'm going to have someone hold the wand for the new vacuum.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I don’t use MDF and only use a powered router for limited purposes. Power router gets used outside and clean up is a leaf blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors