McNaughton bowl coring system

Mik

New User
Mike
Thinking about getting the McNaughton bowl coring system but have no experience with it. Any response on its quality, usefulness, ease of use, durability, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I waste a lot of wood turning live edge bowls and seems this would help utilize more of the wood. Thanks

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I got the large and medium from my father-in-law and have come to like it - I personally recommend it. There is definitely a learning curve to it and the first few times, and it will scare you a few times but some good YouTube videos on how to use it. One thing I like about it is that you can control the curves if you want to, so it doesn’t have to be a one size/shape core bowl. If you decide to go with it, do practice before using it on something that matters to you.

I’m sure people will discuss the ease of use of the OneWay system and everything I’ve heard about that is that it is easier to learn/use. I’ve not used it so have no opinion either way

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the McNaughton bowl coring system. Mike Mahoney has a video using it (on a DVD if you remember those).

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mike, where are you located? I actually have a bowl in my lathe and I'm about ready to core it with the McNaughton system. I've got some other things I need to get done but the coring can happen at any time. I have the full set of blades. I haven't used all the blades yet but I really like the versatility of being able to steer the blades In this system, or maybe a better wording it setup the initial alignment before cutting. Whereas the other systems usually force you to core a round piece. So far I'm very happy with mine. If you're not too far away from Chapel Hill, you're welcome to come out and see/try the system out before you buy.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Mik -
Where in NC are you located? I will be doing a coring systems comparison and demo for the NC Woodturners in Hickory next Sat. April 8 @ Klingspor's. the club meets there @ 10:00 a.m. on the second Sat. of the month. I know everyone has their favorites in coring....I own both McNaughton and Oneway as well as some aftermarket add ons and some you can make to make coring easier. You are welcome to attend I am sure - if it a reasonable drive for you.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have the McNaughton set and I like it, but I think the Oneway setup would be better for a production bowl turner as they seem more consistent and repeatable (I have not used them personally).

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I researched between the McNaughton and Oneway a lot. As John mentions, the biggest thing everyone said was that there is a big learning curve with McNaughton. I had a mentor from a Woodturning club, he had the Oneway. I watched him core 2 bowls. Then he let me try and my first bowl came out perfect. That sold me so I bought the Oneway and have no complaints. A lot of people complain about the HSS cutter that comes with the Oneway, which I don't understand. The HSS steel cutter works great for me and is easy to sharpen with the Oneway jig.

teesquare

T
Senior User
I researched between the McNaughton and Oneway a lot. As John mentions, the biggest thing everyone said was that there is a big learning curve with McNaughton. I had a mentor from a Woodturning club, he had the Oneway. I watched him core 2 bowls. Then he let me try and my first bowl came out perfect. That sold me so I bought the Oneway and have no complaints. A lot of people complain about the HSS cutter that comes with the Oneway, which I don't understand. The HSS steel cutter works great for me and is easy to sharpen with the Oneway jig.
I see you have a 2 hour drive from Fairlawn to Hickory. If you core much - or would like to core more - I encourage you to come to Kilngspor's in Hickory for the coring demo. Systems, and tips/tricks/modifications and a few prizes....;) HINT: I NEVER sharpen my cutters - and I can core about a 100 green wood cores before I do anything to the tip. Hard to believe? Sure....but - new ideas or exchange of ideas is part of the fun!

teesquare

T
Senior User
Here's another option:
Probably a stiff entry cost.
THAT was fun to watch. I don't think I have enough duplicate organs to sell in order to fund that sort of automation tho.....:D Still - I would love to visit the factory to watch them make bowls. Heck - I would like to buy one that I watched them make.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS