Material for benchtops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try the Hardwood Store of NC, in Gibsonville. I don't know if they would have stock that thick but they could probably get it for you. Great people to deal with. Have you ever considered a lamination to get the thickness, it would be more stable, IMO. Dave:)

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
Thanks for the information. I am planning a bench much like the David Charlseworth design. For that I need the 12/4 material. Another bench at the shop will have a laminated top.

I am planning a buying trip to Pennsylvania in January where I know I can get the material. If I could get it locally although I could get one more project (out of several) finished before then.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Just out of curiosity, where in PA and what kind of deal? I ask because I'm going to NY over the holidays and if I could stop and get a deal....

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
There are several wood suppliers in Penn just outside of Baltimore, MD.

Groff and Groff, Hearne hardwoods, Goodhope Hardwoods to name a few. These companies have a wide range of woods and can be found on the internet.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
If it was last year I could help, but HH & NK are out of business. I bought all my maple and walnut for my Traditional Work bench. It's only taken a`( YEAR ) to build. Will post pictures soon.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
John, I was at the Raleigh Klingspor today and they have 2 slabs of 16/4 maple. Both were about 16" wide. One looked to be about 71/2ft and the other about 12 ft.

I had forgotten about this post or I would have gotten exact measurements and pricing. If they still there tomorrow evening, when I go the TWA meeting I'll get more details.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
John the stuff at Klingspor is sft maple it is 16/4 4.99 bd ft.

One slap is 105 x 12 1/4

The other is 79 1/4 x 12 1/4
both slaps appear to almost flawless.

johncolvin13

New User
John Colvin
Thanks alot Steve. I'll try to get out there Friday and take a look. Spent the First entire day at the new shop today. Much more enjoyable than working on someones house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors