Master Woodsman - my latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeck

New User
Brian
Here's a pic of my latest effort. This is a Christmas gift for my brother-in-law, who is a petroleum geologist by day and cedar-strip canoe builder by night, and lover of the legendary Boundary Waters. The idea for this came from reading a Garrison Keillor article, which actually was political in nature, but the first two paragraphs were a description of the "Master Woodsman". The description is priceless. You can google that if interested and ignore everything after the first paragraphs if you aren't interested in Keillor's political views. Which is why I didn't post it here.

So here's my salute to the type of folks that think roughing it is just wonderful (please note the GPS, a touch I think this depicts my brother-in-law perfectly).

canoe-6.JPG

View image in gallery

If you should know a petroleum geologist named Dave who builds cedar-strip canoes and lives in Houston (Kingwood) don't tell him about this. It is going to be a gift after all.

More pics in my gallery.

For those interested, the Ark is still in hiatus until the porch is finished (I'm halfway there).

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice work! :icon_thum

If you don't mind sharing a few details, how many pieces is it and assuming it is more than one, how is it joined?

bpeck

New User
Brian
Canoe, canoe brace, gps, woodsman, paddle, and supply pack. If my math is right 6 pieces minus stand. I primed and painted everything separate (except the chap and paddle which was assembled first) then glued up with regular wood glue. I left bare wood at the glue points.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You know, while I always appreciate the effort and skill that goes into that style of carving, it is usually not my thing, BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT! Excellent job and great theme!

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Great job on the carving and painting. Really like it and know your brother will be happy and surprised.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors