Marples Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Does anyone know the difference between (if any) the Marples Pro Touch chisels sold at Home Depot vs the Irwin Marples Blue Chip chisels sold at Woodcraft? These Pro Touch chisels don't say a thing about Irwin on them, but they don't look old??? Just wondering if they are relatively the same as the one's at the HD are cheaper than WC...

thx,
Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The only difference I see in them is the "striking cap" on the Pro Touch, handle color and shape. Both seem to be priced similar and without a metallurgic analysis, I would guess they are made of comparable steel. I have heard that Irwin has taken over the Marples name.
Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
any thoughts on if they are worth the money or should I save up for a nicer set? ...recommendations?

M

McRabbet

I have the six-piece Record/Marples Chisel Set and I'll be bringing them to the Joinery Class that John Richards - Woodguy1975 is giving on the 4th of February -- They are a decent bench chisel -- Record is an English company and these chisels are made with a good quality Sheffield steel. You can find this set on Amazon.com for about $50. If you plan on doing lots and lots of chisel work, then there are better choices for more money. For example, Lee Valley Tools has a set of seven good quality chisels for $82 or $67 with or without a box to store them in. Or you can go higher end with something like the Veritas Detail Chisels, which are made for dovetail joints and detail work. You'll pay $149 for a set of five.

Rob

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
OK...thanks for responding...this is good information. I will keep this Marples set, as it seems like it will serve me well. If I become a high end furniture maker :rolf:, then I'll look at that Veritas Detail Chisel set...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS