Marking Gauge

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
I'm usually satisfied with the the results I get marking with a sharp pencil (Erasable!). However, I'm going to be making a lot of loose tenon joints and I need to be able to fairly accurately and repeatably find the centers for those joints and I'd like to be able to do it without a lot of fumbling around. After some research, I think a wheel marking gauge would be better than pins or knives. There is a huge difference in what you can pay for these and the thrifty Scot in me is arguing against spending too much (so many tools, so little money). It seems to me the biggest necessity is the ability to hold a setting. Next would be cost wise so I can get more than one. Thoughts, recommendations, experience?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The best of both worlds....wheels and pins. My go-to gauge.

20200131_174115.jpg

I have one of these as well.

Not as nice as the vintage Marples I have but it works just fine. Hard to beat for $9.99.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200131-174955_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20200131-174955_Brave.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 150

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There is a Morley Mortiser for sale here at NCWW. Take a few minutes and look at Morleys videos. Instead of marking gauge, you might want to purchase such unit. Not mine, but definitely on my bucket list, just not right now.

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
There is a Morley Mortiser for sale here at NCWW. Take a few minutes and look at Morleys videos. Instead of marking gauge, you might want to purchase such unit. Not mine, but definitely on my bucket list, just not right now.

I have a jig similar to this. Don't you still have to mark the centers?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
As you can see there are a lot of choices. You will find that having several marking gauges to be handy, as well as a few mortise gauges. I have several wheel type marking gauges and they do the job well. My mortise gauges are of the pin type and I have no complaint. I have used the wheel type mortise gauge and my only complaint is that you have to use one wheel at a time so the time marking out a mortise is longer. Do they all do a good job yes! Do you get what pay for in marking and mortise gauges, Yes!. I have owned and used the Shop Fox product and used them well for several years. My only real complaint are the wheels are of low quality and thick, you have to replace the wheel. But at 12 to 15 bucks they are a good entry level product. I have moved to the Veritas product and have been very satisfied over all. At 35 bucks on average I can’t complain. Are there others out on the market cheaper and more expensive?, Yes! i have used the $100 marking gauge and it is nice but I get the same satisfaction out of using a $30 marking gauge. By the same token I have used several $10 to $15 range marking gauges and felt I wasted my time.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I use the Lee valley wheel gauges. They are good quality and replacement parts are easy to get. I have one of their micro adjustable ones but 90% of the time I use the standard ones. Only one drawback-the lock knobs are too small for old hands and they allow the gauges to roll off the bench. Solution replace the knobs with bigger ones—they are a standard thread (10-24 I think). Got mine at Ace hardware.
It’s very useful to have 2 or 3 gauges so you can leave them set at different depths say for half blind dovetails.
I am not impressed with I-gauging brand. I have one of their double squares that is not fun to adjust.

BD311F96-178E-4C9C-A609-77EA59419152.jpeg

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have the micro-adjustable wheel gauge that Charlie just mentioned, but my favorite is the double-ended Pocket Making Gauge that Lee Valley makes -- easily tucks into the pocket on a shop apron and is only $23.50 plus shipping.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a jig similar to this. Don't you still have to mark the centers?
Watch Morley's video, and he will show you how to do it with a combination square. Easy, Peasy! Same thing I learned in drafting 101, back in 1966. Even shows how to center mortise in jig WITHOUT having to measure. As simple as lining up two lines.

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
Using a combination square to find centers the way he did looks like a lot more trouble than using a marking gauge and probably not as accurate. Very clever though. He even points out how his mortise isn't centered then says he meant to do that (shrug).

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
The one thing about wheel gauges is if you're left-handed (as I am) you will unscrew the wheel by drawing the wheel toward you using your left hand, so I've had to use CA glue to glue the screws in place. This means that sharpening or replacing the wheels is quite annoying, involving a long acetone soak to loosen the screw.

I have the iGauging one that Mike posted, and it is a good value for $15.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most iGaging stuff is crap, but it’s hard to mess up a wheel gage. Worse case buy a better wheel. Or better yet learn to sharpen it.

Best of all learn to make your own.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors