marking gauge wheel

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
How sharp should a marking gauge wheel be? I got what LOOKS like a nie one, but as with Ch-ind tools the wheel is dull as can be so it barely dents a board.

Before I spend too much time, it should be sharp, right? Or do I just buy wheels from Cosman?

Scott H

Scott
User
I got one that came dull also (I believe it was an iGaging wheel marking gauge.) In fact I would call it beyond dull, the edge had a flat on it at least 1/64" or more. I did end up sharpening it and it worked a LOT better, much cleaner line, etc. I since received a Veritas one as a gift and they come sharp. I don't think they have to be extremely sharp, they are probably a lot duller than a lot of my chisels and planes and sharpened way less often, but some kind of edge on them will help a lot.

I think once you get them sharp, to resharpen later you just need to put the wheel flat-side down on a fine stone and rub it in circles for a while. My first one was so out of whack I think I had to make a jig to spin it in a drill and stone the bevel until the flat went away.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
How sharp should a marking gauge wheel be? I got what LOOKS like a nie one, but as with Ch-ind tools the wheel is dull as can be so it barely dents a board.

Before I spend too much time, it should be sharp, right? Or do I just buy wheels from Cosman?
Hi Steve,

It should be sharp enough to cut a clean line across the grain of whatever you are marking. If it is tearing fibers, it is not doing its job. If it requires a lot of pressure, it also is not sharp enough to maintain the control to do its job.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thanks. Kind of what I thought.

Got it pretty good on a 325 stone. Probably could do a little more but it is much improved. Guess that is the difference between a $25 Amazon and a Veritas. If I bet bored, I will go further.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks. Kind of what I thought.

Got it pretty good on a 325 stone. Probably could do a little more but it is much improved. Guess that is the difference between a $25 Amazon and a Veritas. If I bet bored, I will go further.
This is truly where you get what you pay for. fortunately sharping is easy.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, you don't always get if when you pay for it, but if you don't pay for it, you won't get it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS