maple-walnut bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Here is my new bookcase -walnut sides and maple shelves. It's about 48" high and 30" wide. The design was inspired by a bookcase plan I saw in fine woodworking. I'm not sure of the name of the joint for the shelves and sides -a housed lap joint? Sorry I forgot to snap a photo before I put it together.
The finish is garnet shellac on the walnut and blonde shellac on the maple followed by wipe-on poly for both. The final coat was wet sanded w/ 1000grit followed by steel wool and wax.
DSC01592.JPG

View image in gallery

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. I'm curious about the joinery details for general knowledge. Have a sketch of sorts?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
The contrasting maple and walnut are outstanding, and the curve of the sides are a nice touch as well.

bwat

New User
Bill
Nice change from the traditional design. The wood selection definitely aids the design appeal IMO. Thanks for sharing, nice work:icon_thum

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Nicely done. I'm curious about the joinery details for general knowledge. Have a sketch of sorts?

Jeff,
Here's a sketchup of the joint from a couple of different angles. The side (1" thick) was dadoe'd on both sides appr. 1/4" deep. then I used a coping saw to remove the remaining wood from 1/2 the board's width (1.5" for the drawing, but 3" actual) and cleaned up with a chisel. For the shelf, this was dadoed completely through (1.5" on the drawing, but 3" for the actual bookcase shelf) about half the board width and straightened w/ a chisel. Certainly there are other ways to cut this joint, but repeatability was key! Final fit required a router plane. This is a very strong joint -good shelf support and absolutely no racking b/c of how the shelf is housed w/in the side -that's why there's no back needed for this design.

Sam

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Looks great! I really like the contrast and the clean lines. Thanks also for describing the joinery used. I was going to ask if no one else did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS