Maple Island WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
I have an order from a restaurant in NJ for this island. The hard maple top is 24" x 48" and 8" thick and weighs a ton! The base is also hard maple, the legs are 3 3/4" square and the aprons are 6" wide. All the exposed edges on the legs and aprons have been beaded to get rid of sharp edges and the inside of the legs are chamfered at 45 degrees. The hole in one apron is for the drawer which will be installed on Monday along with the lower shelf. The casters are 4" locking casters and will be installed once the island gets to the restaurant. A flat knife block will be added as well to hold 4 chef knives and a cleaver or two, whatever I have room for.

DSC_00036.JPG

eyekode

New User
Salem
If you don't count standing timber that is the largest hunk of maple I have ever seen! How on earth did you flatten the top?!?
Salem

JCraig

New User
Jerry
David, It really looks great. Looks better right side up, than it did yesterday when you had it upside down working on it. :wsmile: Also thank you for allowing me to take the first legs that you did not like. They are going to make great pen and bottle stopper blanks.

DWSmith

New User
David
eyekode - Actually the top is just 2" thick with "skirts" added to the sides and ends to make it look 8" thick. Had I made it 8" thick, the weight would have been to much for one or two people to handle and the shipping would have been prohibitive. The top was sanded on a 37" wide belt sander then squared. Once the top was prepared, the "skirts" were added very carefully to make sure they mated up as closely as I could get them. To get the pieces glued to the top was a headache. Even through I made it as light as I could, it still weighs a very heavy and awkward 97 pounds. The base will weigh somewhere close to that as well. All-in-all it will make as imposing cart for the restaurant to take to the tables to cut their steaks to order.

JCraig - I always enjoy visitors and the discussions that come about. Please come by any time you want to to see what I have available for you to turn.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
All-in-all it will make as imposing cart for the restaurant to take to the tables to cut their steaks to order.

That will be an impressive piece for the restaurant. I suspect it will get them lots of attention. I assume they will put it on casters if they plan to take it to each table?

How's the new shop working out?

Bill

DWSmith

New User
David
Bill - I assume they will be taking it from table to table which is why they asked for casters. Big red 4" casters will make it stand out. I'm glad they dropped the idea for an umbrella.

The new shop is working well thanks. Took a little getting accustomed to the reduced space but it stays warmer and is easier to clean.

T

toolferone

Very nice looking block. Will have any kind of handle on it to help them steer it around the tables.

(pun intended on the double meaning of steer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors