Maloof Low Back Side Chair Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I completed my Maloof Low back side chair using walnut and ebony accents as described in the thread Coopered seats in How To forum). Attached are a few photos of the finished product.Overall I am very satisfied with the outcome and look of the finished chair. lesson learned, invest in better quality lumber. I constructed this chair from the $0.50 per bf walnut from the gentleman in Wake Forest a few months ago. It required significantly more work than I prefer but I only have about $20 in lumber in this piece. The finish is waterlox satin (4 coats) and briwax

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Beautiful Chair. I would really like to attempt one of those one day. Maybe in the next 5 years... :) Did you go to class for it or did you just wing it?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Answers to a couple of questions.

I adjusted the creat rail to my preference both vertically and the angle for the most comfort, therefore it sits very comfortable for me but may be less comfortable for others. I really miss a back as this would still be like a hospital waiting room chair after a long period with no upper back support.

I used the Scott Morrison plans (available at Woodcraft) which are excellent plans and I highly recommend them. This was my 4th Maloof piece and my first was at JSR woodworking so I did learn from others. One of the staff members at Woodcraft in Greensboro was asking if I would be interested in teaching a class but I do not think my skill level is there yet to teach others.

The next project I will be making is a table, photo below. I had someone interested in having me make a reproduction of an antique table located in Old Salem (Winston Salem) that they had found in an antique magazine. I located the plans at Garrett Wade for the table and plan to make it from Mahogany. I do not like Queen Anne style furniture and do not know if my heart will be in it but it could be interesting to make as I have never made a cabriolle leg before. I am also not sure about the ball and claw feet and he may just get a standard cabriolle foot. On the Maloof side, I intend to make two of the Scott Morrison bar stools for our kitchen at home using cherry then build the Maloof settee (double seat of the chair in this post) using the same cherry to use in our foyer at home. This chair was the prototype for the settee as I have a lot more money invested in the cherry. I feel confident enough in the Scott Morrison plans to build the bar stools without a prototype using cheap lumber. This is about 1 years work laid out.

dressingtableM8.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would like to echo what all of the above replies said about your rocker. Fabulous!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS