Makita Planer

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
FYI, I have only observed one of these, never used.

1678543976037.png

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I've had one by B&D for years. Infrequent use. Able to purchase belts and blades - well five years ago . . .
Seldom had any use for it - but did find it handy and quick!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i think the primary use of this would be to remove bows & twists in 2x4 construction material. Not that it doesn't have other uses, but it could a new set of problems if used incorrectly

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have had a Makita Planer for almost 40 years. They are a great tool for certain things. At the time I bought it was 100 bucks so, not much change in the cost. I got it for door planing, which it is awesome. It also works great for making minor adjustments on cabinet stiles when installing. You can buy replacement blades for it that are carbide. I have only replaced the blades once. In owning it.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have had a Makita Planer for almost 40 years. They are a great tool for certain things. At the time I bought it was 100 bucks so, not much change in the cost. I got it for door planing, which it is awesome. It also works great for making minor adjustments on cabinet stiles when installing. You can buy replacement blades for it that are carbide. I have only replaced the blades once. In owning it.

Same, I used it to plane some very old doors on a rehab project. Do have to be careful, very easy to gauge the wood at the end as you come off the door. Don't ask me how I know....

Reactions: Oka

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one, I primarily use it to remove the ears off cabinets when some designer orders a little more cabinet than there is space. But I have used it to knock high spots down on boards quickly. It doesn’t get used a lot, but when you need it, you need it.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had my B&D model for decades and as mentioned by others, I don't use it much. Most recently I've used it to do initial removal of chain saw marks and make a planar surface on a log I was milling for a mantel.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got a Wen motor plane in the bottom of a yard sale box that I paid $20 for. Plenty of good fasteners and tools from that box. Never have turned on the plane but a buddy borrowed it to level some floor joists in his home. Said it worked great. I put it back in my cabinet and still haven’t turned it on. May need it someday…

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
They work great for leveling joists when building a deck or ramp. Have also used mine for trimming doors. However, like most power tools, it lets you screw up at the speed of light. I initial bought mine (DeWalt) many years ago with the idea I could use it instead of a jointer. Didn't work for that (too hard to control. Ended up going with hand planes) but has really come in handy on some projects, mainly in the general construction category.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I’ve had the Bosch for years. Mostly used it for 8-siding and rounding spars and oars. Guess for me its a power spoke shave.

jsloane

New User
jim
FYI, I have only observed one of these, never used.

View attachment 217293
I bought one for planing a bookmatch Koa coffee table I was building. Had to take a lot off a live edge piece too big for my 12" planer. It worked well, but if you have a lot of wood to remove, it has no attachment port for a bag to catch the saw dust. I tried to adapt one with duct tape etc.., helped a little.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
but they're 3D printed and that takes time.
Well, machine time, but defiantly not many 'man hours.'

I did a switch plate and it printed overnight while I slept. If it took me ten minutes to turn the machine on and upload the file (while eating pizza) I'd be surprised. And, that was the first time I had even seen a 3D printer up close and after about 30 minutes of (rather poorly done) instruction.

Heating PVC pipe fittings that are close to a fit, is not a bad way to jury rig adapters (did one for the chips on my DeWalt 735 - used a HFT Heat gun) for dust collection. Got any laying about?

BTW - its a poor design that reduces the exhaust/discharge port to couple to a sucker

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Heating PVC pipe fittings that are close to a fit, is not a bad way to jury rig adapters (did one for the chips on my DeWalt 735 - used a HFT Heat gun) for dust collection. Got any laying about?
That's fine for simple adapters, but the Festool connector has a twist and lock feature. For guys like me without a 3D printer and no interest in one, $25 here and there isn't a big deal.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS