Makita LXT 18v Li-Ion Battery Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Is anyone having premature battery failure problems with Makita 18v Li-Ions? I'm needing new set of 14.4v Makita NiMH batteries or a new Drill/Driver set and was considering the LXT set.
I just saw this being discussed on another fourm with a link to a UK Battery Rebuilder who explains the issues here: http://www.recellyourbattery.com/makita-18v

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
No problem here. I bought my drill and impact driver set years ago during a Makita demo before they arrived in the stores. I use these at work and probably charge them twice a week. One of the batteries finally died about a month ago but that was after probably 300-400 charges

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My 2, 14.4 NiMH batteries have lasted for longer than I expected but replacing/rebuilding them for about $50 each (~half the price of a new Lithium Ion tool) is a tough decision. I was expecting NiMH to be less expensive now. I really love my Makita Impact driver.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've used the set pretty frequently over the last 3 years, without any issues. I make sure I charge the battery as soon as it's empty though, so I probably would not have run into this scenario.

wronghand

New User
Chris
Like Bas, I have gotten 3 good years of service out of the 2 batteries that came with my impact driver. They are still going strong.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As far as I know, this problem existed in the first year or so of production only. I had the problem with mine with a few batteries early on. But the replacements I bought have not had the problem.

I think it would be safe to buy brand new product now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS