Making Wooden Fishing Lures

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, I got the book Making Wooden Fishing Lures by Rich Rousseau and was wondering if anyone has ever made any wooden fishing lures? I am still unable to use my hand so no cutting for me yet. It sure does look like it will be a lot of fun. If anyone has made any, please share some pics and any of the dos and do nots. Also if you have made any that really catch fish, I would be interested in seeing the finish on them. Thanks. Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I used to tie flies when I lived out west. I still have a bunch of leftover supplies from that. Could be useful for skirts and whatnot, plus I think there might be some eyes and other stuff. You are welcome to it if you want. I would just have to box it up and then get it shuttled over to Fred (I think) to hopefully eventually make it to you with the lathe.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My father used to make some out of my leftover scraps. He used to make what we always called a "plunker". Basswood is the lightest and works well, but he used a lot of African Mahogany I had around. Other woods will work, just may be to heavy to cast.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Haven't made any wooden ones since I was a young'un, but have made some spoon baits and "gussied up" some rapala and lazy ike types. The most successful "finish" I found was the striping tape (like automotive) that is iridescent. It mimics fish scales pretty well, and I have caught trout, bass, northern pike and a variety of salt water species on them. Doesn't have to cover the lure; just a strip down the sides or top and bottom seems to work.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS