Making wood rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I need to make a 19' wood ring, 1' wide. I've just finished making the segmented ring out of White oak and now it's time to glue it to a 19' piece of plywood so I can turn it. I was thinking hot melt glue but I'm not sure I could get it put on the plywood before it dried. I read on this forum a while back someone used paper from a grocery bag to put between the ring and the plywood. Any thoughts?? Also, what kind of glue is best if I use the paper method?

FlyingRon

Ron
You either have a **** of a lathe or we're talking 19" not 19'.

The paper trick works fine with just plain ol' yellow glue.

Outa Square

New User
Al
I need to make a 19' wood ring, 1' wide. I've just finished making the segmented ring out of White oak and now it's time to glue it to a 19' piece of plywood so I can turn it. I was thinking hot melt glue but I'm not sure I could get it put on the plywood before it dried. I read on this forum a while back someone used paper from a grocery bag to put between the ring and the plywood. Any thoughts?? Also, what kind of glue is best if I use the paper method?

19 foot ring 1 foot wide??? that's humongous

I just read the other day about making face plates and attaching the work with hot glue

here is the link

http://aroundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

caskey

New User
Scott
You can use construction paper to. Just glue both pieces of wood heavily and ring the paper in.... also keep the speed low so the force dont pop the glue joint. It will split the paper in half.....

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Awhile back, I glued a 24" column together with regular wood glue and put newspaper in the center. After turning the column, I used a chisel to split the column. There was a piece of the paper left on each side of the column after it split apart. Good luck.

Steve

FlyingRon

Ron
Yeah, that's pretty much how it happens, you got little pieces of paper left on both parts.

I just use a continuous squiggle of glue (not 100% coverage but not just a few points).

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thanks for the info. I'll be glueing it to the plywood tonite so that tomarrow I'll be able to turn it. I'm making a round bookcase (19inches dia :) that has a magazine rack on 3 sides and sits on a lazy susan. It sits beside my recliner so I can set a beer and the remote on top but still rotate it for a magazine or book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS