Making use of seemingly wasted space

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I recently added a new drill press to my shop and after some thougth, I decided to capture the normally wasted space below the dp table. I pulled together some scrap from around the shop and built a small cabinet which straddles the dp base. This gave me a drawer for storing bits, acessories, and two shelves for whatever. As with most workshops, I am constantly trying to find space to use for storing things. It might not be very big but will certainly serve a purpose. A fine piece of furniture it isn't but it is well constructed and will stand the test of time, especially in a workshop environment.

The following is a list of the various woods used in its construction:

Mahogany ( drawer face)
pine (drawer sides, drawer frames)
oak ( top banding)
Mahogany veneer plywood (sides, shelves)
Oak veneer plywood (top)
Cherry ( edge banding on front)

Here are a couple of pics

dpcab1.JPG

dpcab2.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang that's beautiful, I wish I could make something that nice to bring into the house. Dave:smile:

Monty

New User
Monty
Hey, I never noticed that wasted space under there -- now that's going to bug me! Great job on the cabinet!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Actually overwhelming! You have dove tails on the drawers! Great idea for those of us who are "spatially challenged".

Thanks for posting :smile:
Roger

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Wow, that looks like something that should be in a home, not a shop! I wish my shop cabintets looked even half that good!

T

toolferone

Guys there is nothing wrong with dovetails in the shop. First it is a great way to practice them, and second they look great to guests in the shop or posted on some ww fourm.

I like the drawer handle, store bought or home made?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Tom,

The drawer pull came of an old chest I was restoring. Needless to say, it wasn't original. It is a two piece solid brass pull. Really heavy.

MIke

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Wow... I was gonna ask if I could put that table beside my couch in the living room. Then I realized my couch isn't nice enough to sit beside that cabinet. Nice cabinet!

- clay

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Clay,

Thanks for the comment. I'm sure you can make something for your couch that will look better than that. I made some bedside tables that go with our pencil post bed that I plan on taking some pics of and posting. That is if we ever clear them off enough to get the photos. LOL It is hard to get the bed in a single photo (king size).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS