Making progress on Federal Card Table

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
In September I wrote an article on making sand-shaded fan inlays that I planned to use in a Federal-style card table (Post | NCWoodworker.com). Over the holidays I've made a lot of progress, including finally getting the inlayed into the table legs. Here's a few pictures of how it's coming together as I dry-fit all the pieces. My current step is making the drawer.
IMG_2175.JPG

This image shows how the table will look with the drawer closed. At this stage I've oiled and filled the walnut apron pieces. There is a cock beading yet to be attached to the bottom of the apron, but otherwise the detail is complete.

One of the back legs is hinged and will swing outwards to support the top when unfolded.
IMG_2153.JPG

After looking at some examples in the MESDA collection I noticed that the swinging leg was often slightly open on these tables. After 200+ years of use I can easily see the wooden hinge loosening up a bit. To prevent this happening I came up with a simple locking mechanism that mounts on the inside of the back fixed apron with a "key" attached to the swinging apron. With a quarter-turn the leg is securely locked in place.

GateLegLock.jpg

The handle turns a brass cylinder that acts as a cam. When turned to the open position it allows the key to be inserted. As the cylinder is rotated the cam pulls the plate with the key tighter. The next couple of pictures show it installed.

IMG_2164.JPG

Closed.

IMG_2165.JPG

Open.

Once I complete the drawer I'll disassemble everything and begin applying the shellac and making the top. Stay tuned for more pictures when it's done.

Attachments

• GateLegLock.jpg
    GateLegLock.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great work and great write-up also. I am looking forward to learning from you

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, you do very elegant work, I really enjoy seeing your projects! Thanks for sharing.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you using SYP as your secondary wood?
Yes, the sides of the drawer frames (as well as the drawer) are made from SYP that is either quarter-sawn or rift-sawn. I occasionally look through the boards at Lowe's or Home Depot to spot any "jewels". The interior parts which are veneered are also SYP, but these came from old-growth timber that was taken from a house in Durham built around 1890. I found several quarter-sawn 2x4's that had been used as rafters. That is some very nice wood and works beautifully. I only wish I had a lot more of it.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Incredible work! Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Also, looks like you have a very nice shop. Would love to see more pics of the shop itself!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jim,

That’s great, I really like Mid-Atlantic and Southern pieces that rely on SYP. I think SYP is underutilized in period pieces.

I understand what you mean about the BORG SYP. I live outside the distribution range for SYP construction timber, so I have to drive around 90-miles south to find any. I get pretty pumped when I run across any tighter or denser growth pieces to work with. I wish I could get some of the wider 4/4 and 5/4 stock that Danmart77 has posted.

I also wish I could find some tight 12/4 and 16/4 stock to use for some turnings, but no luck so far.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Source for lock?
Thanks. I made the locking mechanism out of some brass stock. Most of the work was with a hacksaw and files. I did use a lathe to bore the key hole and turn the cylinder down so I could thread the post for the lever. Here are my "plans" in case you're interested in making one for yourself. I don't certify the final one came out to these exact dimensions, but it's close. For example, I'm pretty sure my final cam isn't as steep an angle as I originally drew. It takes about a quarter turn to lock it.

1577993625532.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS